Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I was wondering if someone could tell me a bit about the factory options for the dash instruments.
I have speedo, clock, oil, coolant, fuel.
was thinking of putting a tach in but not sure if I can just swap 1 or how easy they are to find?

Thanks for any advise

·
Registered
73 Posts
Don't have any info on the factory options, but I do have a suggestion if you're trying to keep a factory look.

First read about the 'Mini-Tach' in Mustang Monthly, and now that I have a '67 of my own I might go this route. Have never come across an original tach from '67 (online or at swap meets), though I see "Factory Tachometer" regularly in sale ads. I would imagine they are fairly rare, such as an original clock, which would happen to be replaced by the MT.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Tach in '67

If you want a stock setup, it's not simple or cheap.

A tach housing (the housing behind the complete gauge pod) is needed, then a tach and speedometer if you want them to match. Also a tach wiring harness may be needed. There is a guy in Florida I think, "tachman" that restores tachs that may have a housing and restored gauges. I also heard someone may be repopping the housing, so it may be done now and available, I have not looked

On the other hand, about a year ago I saw some vendors were trying to offer new solutions. One of the gauge manufacturers was showing tach clusters that were new in an online catalog, not sure who it was though. (I think the cluster would only hold their gauges and was visibly different than stock, but not unattractively different)

The mini tach discussed above may be a good way to go also

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Or you can buy a gauge support and mount aftermarket gauges in your stock bezel.Or do the rally pack on the steering column.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
1.- in place of the plastic blank (crosshairs) or clock in a non factory tach instrument cluster
1967 1968 67 68 FORD MUSTANG V8 6000 RPM MINI-TACH : eBay Motors (item 360258458235 end time May-31-10 10:41:53 PDT)

2.-Tach/Speedo housing with a new aftermarket tach made especially for the 67/68 Mustangs

67/68 Shelby - Mustang Tach/Speedo Housing & NEW TACH! : eBay Motors (item 190395628071 end time May-16-10 12:20:54 PDT)

ill go with the first option ,,,because with the 2d wil deleted the temp & alternator gauge,
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
850 Posts
As far as "factory" dash mounted instrument options, this is what was offered:
- 120 MPH or 140 MPH Speedo with Trip Odometer
- 0-6000 RPM or 0-8000 RPM Tach
- Clock

Other dash mounted options:
- AM Radio
- AM/FM Mono Radio
- AM/8 Track Radio
- Convenience Group Indicator Lights
- Deluxe Interior Brushed Aluminum Dash
- Console
- Glove Box Light

That's all I can think of, right now.

......A tach housing (the housing behind the complete gauge pod) is needed, then a tach and speedometer if you want them to match. Also a tach wiring harness may be needed.....
In the November 1999 Mustang Monthly, there is an article telling how to add a factory tach without buying a Tach Wiring Harness.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...ovember-1999-mustang-monthly.html#post1755320

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.