Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently weighed my '67 Mustang and it weighed 3150lbs. I wanna see how hard it would be to get it down to 2900 or 2950, at least under 3000lbs. It's pretty much stock as far as things that reduce weight. I've got some Sparco bucket seats I plan on putting in but just haven't had the time. Anyone know of cheap mods that still look good for car shows?

·
Registered
411 Posts
The easiest way is to delete the back seat which limits room for passengers,maybe use some fiberglass body panels such as hood and trunk, front fenders etc. 67's are pretty lean on sound proffing and insulation so I doubt you can eliminate anything there. You may be pretty close to your desired number once you lose the front seats. Also aluminum wheels vs stock steel wheels will help also.Good luck.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Some ways I've reduced a little wt. were costly but added perf. also like alum. heads, intake. Also moving the wt. rearward over the wheels will give almost as much benefit as removing like relocating the battery to the trunk, etc.
General rule of thumb I read is .10 quicker in the 1/4mi. for every 100lbs you take off the front end.
Jon

·
Registered
318 Posts
alum heads, glass hood, front seats, the rear seats are very lite i would keep them but you can remove them to race in like 2 min with no tools. keep the tank low also when you want to race. the battery relocate is a good idea also

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I know 3100 is light. I just wanna get below 3000 so when people ask I can say 2900. So switching from a C4 to a T5 will drop a decent amount of weight?

·
Registered
318 Posts
its not that easy to install a man trans when you have a auto. new pedals, and all the stuff that goes with it but you would have a big jump in performance and it (if done right) could increase the value of car unless you are replacing factory parts that were born on the car

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I already have the manal trans pedal assembly. When I changed to power brakes I put in a manual cause I knew I would want to change.

·
Registered
318 Posts
time to get the T5 :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Aluminum engine parts get rid of weight and add performance - that is always a good trade. Replacing fenders and hood will get rid of about 100 pounds. Removing the rear seat will only get rid of about 40 pounds. Changing from a C4 to a T5 will only get you about 30 pounds but you get the added benefit of more gears and an OD. That will allow you to change the rear gears to 3.70 - 3.90 and still be able to cruise on the freeway at a reasonable rpm. Switching the front seats to racing style shells will get rid of about 70 pounds. (sometimes they look better too)
Without getting really serious that is about as much as you can do. If you want to get serious then removing all the padding, sound proofing and carpet, window regulators, changing from the side glass to Lexan and completely stripping the car of undercoating and dumping the heater box will give you close to 5-600 pounds.
It all depends on how much you want to get rid of and what you are willing to put up with to do it.
With enough time and money you can make anything look good at the shows.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a daily driver 67 coupe that I recently weighed at 2950 lbs. with spare tire and quarter-tank of gas. Here are the specs:
331 with alum. heads, intake, water pump, radiator, oil pan & valve covers, steel headers, T-5z tranny, aluminum driveshaft, 8" rear, no A/C, manual steering, manual brakes, front discs/rear drums, 16" alum. wheels, tubular upper/lower a-arms, no radio, no center console, battery in trunk, no extraneous trim.
I do have stock bumpers, hood, panels, seats, 4 1/2 leaf springs, sway bars front/rear.
I am considering fiberglass hood and trunk, rear disc brakes, and lighter seats. Not much else to do without getting really nuts. Hope this helps and good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.