Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so i bought stock EFI wiring haness and ECU off a 89 mustang GT.I was wondering if anybody has done this conversion with the stock fox wiring harness and converted their motor from Carb to EFI ?

·
Registered
136 Posts
best bet is to buy a painless wiring harness 550 from summit i did alot of research its hugely time consuming to run the factory harness i have the painless one for my 68 its very easy to run and just did a tpi conversion on a friends 84 regal the easiest part of the install was the wiring becasue of the harness

·
Registered
342 Posts
Painless isn't necessarily your best bet. I used the wiring from a 92 Mustang, put it on my 66, all is well. I'm even going to drag race it tomorrow at Atlanta Motor Speedway. If you have pretty good mechanical skills/electrical skills, you can adapt the 90s wiring to your car.

·
Registered
136 Posts
best bet no easiest yes :D

·
Registered
342 Posts
I suppose easy is up to the beholder. I liked knowing where all the wires go and what they do. Challenging? Yes!
Silver, if I remember correctly, the harness I used had the stock 92 computer relay still attached, so I used that to give 12v to the computer. The power to that relay I attached to the positive lug on the starter relay, and the power to switch the computer relay 'on' comes from the ignition switch. I didn't use the stock fuel pump relay however; added my own. Let me know if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The engine I have is a stock 93 5.0L out of a Mustang, backed by AOD, 3.00 rear end. If you are just taking your engine and converting it to EFI, make sure the firing order is the same as the EFI engine, this is significant.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If you mean for the computer, I used the relay that was/in the (1992) harness that I used. Relay had four connections. Ground, 12v from battery, signal to switch it on (from ignition switch), and then the last connection is the one that actually sends power to the computer.

I hope that helps. When you write, 'yea i know, what part of the relay did u tap into ,' I'm not sure what info you are looking for.:headscratch:

·
Registered
342 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Started with an early 90s alt, wanted more juice, now use a early 2000s model, 130 amp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts