Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a restored Mustang and I need to bring it to a DMV inspection. The emergency flashers do not work. I also had an issues with the horn, ended up replacing the turn signal wiring through the steering column. Horn works, signals work, however the emergency flashers do not. I am thinking this could be a relay issue, are there two separate relays for the turn signals and the emergency flashers? If so, where is the emergency flasher relay, any pics would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
It is most likely the flasher unit itself that is either missing or faulty.
There are 2 separate flashers, one for the turn signals and one for the emergency flasher.

Rectangle Font Slope Circuit component Parallel

The turn signal flasher should be located behind the heater controls.
I assume that the emergency flasher should not be far away.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
We really need to know the specs on your car. In 1968 they moved the flasher switch up behind the steering wheel on the column. Before it was a switch in the glove box. As said above, the simple fix is a missing flasher can. The emergency on should be up in the dash, about under the radio area. It is the same one the turn signals use. There is no relay. But, the switch is VERY special and often breaks. It is not cheap. The system is very direct. The switch get 1 power wire, when on, it sends power to all the turn signals at once. Prior to the switch move, thru wires spliced in within the dash wire harness.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Be sure and check for Cigar lighter fuse. The flashers work off the same circuit.

For location of Hazard/Em Flasher see: # 7 in pictoral located behin the dash

Hope this Helps
Jod: not average Joe but still Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts