Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im putting brand new frame rails and a brand new one piece trunk in my car in my resto and i was wondering im to the stage were i have all the parts and everything is out and has been measured and ready to go back in should i go ahead and install the complete trunk before the frame rails it looks like it will be harder to put in the frames rails after the fact but it doesnt look like i will be able to put the trunk in after the frame rails are installed without cutting it in half and what the purpose of buying the exspensive one piece if im just goin to hack it up and help would be great or someone who has done this before

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nick,

I want to give you some advice, as I have experience with many panel replacements, BUT NOT fastbacks. I don't know what yours looks like. In general, keep in mind that you can replace panels from the top or the bottom, if there is an advantage in accessibility. Recently I replaced a "Long Floor" section on a coupe that had subframe connectors. The subframe connectors are exactly in the way of the floor panels. To remedy that, rather than remove and later replace the connectors, I cut the floor panel into two pieces and then rewelded that cut after it was in place. In fact, the rear portion was fit on the outside of the car and the front portion was fit on the inside due to accessibility. I also suggest welding the panels with a lap weld, not a but weld (if possible), and weld on the inside and outside of the joint.

Take your time with the fitting of the panel. The subframe sections will help dictate the "Good Fit". A good fit means the panel touches all the necessary points (where your welds will be). Take your time and make it right. Don't be frustrated if you have the panel in and out several times before your fit is right.

With that, (without looking at your car) I suggest you install the subframe pieces before the trunk panel. The thing that might change my mind on that decision could be accessibility. If your goal is to install the trunk in one piece, then the order of things could change. But again, remember your option of mounting it from the top or the bottom.

When you weld the subframe pieces in, the most attractive weld would be a "fill" weld which gives the spot weld look. That is when you drill holes in the subframe piece where the surface contacts the floor/trunk panel (never use less than 1/4" hole, I use larger when I can). You then weld into that hole and onto the panel, thereby filling the hole. Unless you trust your welding skills, I suggest you lap weld it. I hope these suggestions help. If I knew fastbacks, I could be more specific.

Steve in California

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
see my problem is the part that divides the trunk to the front of the car is perfect and still in the car, that is the piece that is not letting me drop the floor in from the top it will have to come in from underneath i really dint wont to cut the floor pan in half even though it would work i could have bought the trunk floor in pieces and saved myself about $200 bucks i see what your saying though , i good friend of mine is a professional welder and he will be doing all my welding , i can weld but not as good as him he said the metal will tear before the welds break thats how confident he is in his welds which is good for me but if i put the rails in i dont see and way possible that i could get the floor in , what if i were to get it all fitted in there and go ahead and weld the shock crossmember in connecting the frame rails together out side of the car, then weld my trunk floor in , then put the rails in it would seem to me that it would help me line the rails up straighter if the floor was already in , just picture a shell of a fastback and you can picture my car, minus rear framerails and all the pans if you would like i could get a pic for you , and i plan on having this for a long time and i do get frustrated sometime so i just drop everything and walk away for a bit thanks for the help

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you have accessibility issues, do what you have to do related to the order you replace the pieces. Your mechanical sense will dictate the logical order. If your metal in question is only rusty and not bent, you only need to worry about the trueness of the replacement pieces. If you have a "Professional" welder (experienced with thin gauge steel) helping you, you can trust the welding. I hope also you get the "friend" rate.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh he's doing it for nothin i let him borrow my yamaha rhino for a week to go hunting so he owes me one, i think im goin to install the trunk floor first then connect the frame rails with the top of the shock crossmember outside of the car then put it all in

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just did this on my coupe. You defintly want to install the trunk floor first. Then you install your frame rails to the floor. Use some sheet metal screws to hold the frame rails in. Then go back and plug weld the screw holes. Hope that helps you out.
Rusty

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
awesome thats what i needed to hear did you install the shock bracket crossmember before you put the frame rails in , thats what i was thinking to do

thanks alot nick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.