Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ;
I need to find a place to run switched power to an aftermarket fuse block in a '67. Running it from the switch is a bad plan because when you try to start the car, it pulls all of the current from the fuse block and the MSD box never starts :laugh:
Is there a main power relay in these cars? If not, where would you pull switched power from for a fuse block?

·
Registered
392 Posts
The ignition switch has a source that is on only when in the run or acc position but is off when in the start position. I would use that to switch a relay that would then power whatever you are trying to power. I would grab the device power for the relay directly from the battery and not from the harness in the car. This is what I did for my power window conversion. I would also run a thermal fuse.

Joel

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the late reply, been busy. I needed to run an extra fuse block because of the aftermarket equipment in the car and I didn't want to load the OEM block down with it. I ended up running a relay from the switched power on the solenoid in the engine bay. The relays runs power directly from the battery to the fuse panel with the switch is turned on. Works like a charm. I should've done that from the beginning, but was hoping there was a place inside I could tap for it. Making things more difficult on myself by trying to make it easy, I guess :hihi:

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
That's the way I would have done it. Then, like you said, you're not overloading any original circuits.:bigthumbsup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts