Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked under my 67 coupe at the steering linkages to see what was causing the play in the steering wheel. I noticed the pitman arm seemed to move in its socket before turning the wheel which caused the loose feel. The fit is loose on the skinny end of the pitman arm which connects into the steering box, right?

Anyway, is there a bushing there that has worn out or do i need to replace the whole pitman arm.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
2 Posts
It looks like the whole arm

I looked under my 67 coupe at the steering linkages to see what was causing the play in the steering wheel. I noticed the pitman arm seemed to move in its socket before turning the wheel which caused the loose feel. The fit is loose on the skinny end of the pitman arm which connects into the steering box, right?

Anyway, is there a bushing there that has worn out or do i need to replace the whole pitman arm.

Thanks,
Tim
This picture shows the flex joint in the pitman arm. The new arm should have a lube fitting in it. Most checkers or autozones will rent you a pitman arm puller for free and a pickle fork tool to remove the flex joint from the tie rod. I'm assuming the play is in the flex joint with the nut on it. If the shaft coming out of the steering box is moving back and forth there is an adjusment for that I had to do that to my 68. Hope this helps
Thanks Ron Fisk ASE Master

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
My pitman arm fit super snug, as in if the splines were not lined up properly (there's a larger spline every 90*) and if the arm was not perfectly straight I could not get it started. Even once started it was a bear to pull onto the splines using the nut and a flat washer. Best guess is that your steering gear output shaft is stripping/stripped of it's splines. I'd mark the bottom of the shaft and the pitman arm and have someone turn the wheel so you can verify that the arm is slipping on the shaft. Could be that the internals of the box are shot.
I took pics as I had so much trouble getting in on all the way if they help any:
Jon

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.