Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil Pressure-Alternator Gauge to Idiot Light Swap Out
1967 Mustang
I want to swap out my non-tachometer instrument cluster and install one with a factory tachometer. I have the clusters.
Background:
The original factory dash gauge cluster comes with a combination oil pressure gauge and alternator on the right side of the cluster. In the factory GT dash cluster, the tachometer takes the place of those two instruments and located just below the tachometer are two idiot lights that take over the function of oil pressure and alternator warning. I assume that either low oil pressure, or low voltage activates those lights.
In the non-GT cluster wiring harness the oil pressure gauge is fed with two leads, black with green stripe to one side and red with white stripe to the other side, both connectors are push on leads to the posts on the gauge. The alternator gauge is connected in similar fashion with a red wire lead on one side and a yellow on the other.
In the GT-tachometer gauge cluster, containing the idiot lights below the tachometer, the lights are connected by different colored wires. It appears to be a red-white and solid red connected to one bulb and a black-yellow and solid black connect to the other.
I’ve read that the gauges are fed from a constant voltage regulator and utilize 5.5 volts. The idiot lights are 12 volt. Correct?
My Question:
How do I wire the idiot lights in the GT cluster so that the oil pressure and alternator lights will work? I can’t locate a wiring harness schematic that contains the GT cluster anywhere on line. Do I need to run new wires to the alternator and oil pressure sending units? Do I need to replace the sending unit?
Anyone out there perform this swap? HELP please.
THANKS!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil/Alternator

Tom, Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate it. I looked over the schematic at the link you provided and the alternator light looks like an easy tone-out fix. What oil pressure sender do I need? A simple unit that sends 12volts when no oil pressure is present then stops sending as pressure builds? Am I on the right track? Denny

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Any sender that sends a ground to light the lamp. When presure falls off the sender sends out a GROUND TO LIGHT THE LIGHT. Just get a sender with the same threads that match your block. Simple Peace Tom:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts