Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I screwed up my power steering valve a few weeks back, bought a new one.. at the same time switch from 1/4 to 5/16..
I have a 1990 302 5.0 EFI in there with 1990 power steering pump.. All worked before.. please don't even ask me why or how I broke the valve, I feel stupid enough..
I put everything back up.. it does not work and it acts crazy..
What I mean is: I cannot turn.. the steering wheel won't let me.. if I turn left it stops right away and goes to the right and vice versa plus sometimes It starts going back and forth and won't stop..
Pump is full of fluid.. the system leaks as usual.. I'm wonderiing if somebody can help.. if not, I'm going R&P..

·
Registered
682 Posts
how did u break it? if u turn left and wheels go right turn right when turning left. lol jk but wtf thats nuts and whats R&P? and maybe go back to 1/4

·
Registered
40 Posts
Many years ago I hooked my lines from the valve to the ram backwards and I did the same thing you're describing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx for the replies, I just read an article on how hookin up the short lines backwards can do that , problem is I didn't.. But I'm gonna try and swap them anyway, might as well try, right?
R&P is Rack and Pinion.. it's just annoying to buy new hoses, valve etc to have it all leak as if it was 40 years old.. and I think R&P will fix it once for all..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol

well I looked a lil closer the way I had hooked up the lines.. they were crossed...!
So it was my bad.. I swapped them and it works fine.. still leaks tho..lol!
Thank you for the help

·
Registered
657 Posts
well I looked a lil closer the way I had hooked up the lines.. they were crossed...!
So it was my bad.. I swapped them and it works fine.. still leaks tho..lol!
Thank you for the help
When the Spool slamed against the seal in the event of the crossings of the hoses, it popped the seal out from the body. Common occurance in this.

Take the control apart, reseat the seals, it won't leak--You didn't hurt the seals.

Dan @ Chockostang

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.