Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on removing my 1967 mustang engine to get it rebuilt. My buddy says it will be easier if I remove the radiator support to lower the lift height for the engine hoist. I show him the radiator support and it looks welded to the frame but he insists it can be removed but doesn't know how. I check out the parts catalog and I see you can buy a replacement radiator support that looks like it can be bolted in.

My question is -- is a 1967 radiator support welded or bolted to the frame? If bolted, where are the friggin bolts? If welded, is it a good idea to break it loose to remove the engine?

Sorry, I'm just getting into this hobby and I'll probably be asking some dumb questions for a while.

· Registered
117 Posts
Hello,

I had my 67 Coupe front-end stripped and mine is welded. I agree with the last posting that you should remove the hood for engine and trans removal and leave the rad support. My run-of-the-mill hoist lifted them easily over support.

· Registered
7,185 Posts
Hello.:) Ford welded the radiator core support in. As has already been said, the way to pull the motor is to remove the hood and just snatch it out of there with the tranny still attached. It isn't a big deal at all.:)

· Registered
131 Posts
As mentioned above, the rad support is welded in from the factory. It's not worth the effort taking it out unless you know it has to be replaced.

I have several pictures of pulling the engine out of my '68 (which is almost identical to your '67 in terms of this topic) on the web site listed in my signature. Once you take the hood off even a "el cheapo" hoist like I have should be able to clear the rad support. I would recommend a "engine leveler" for the hoist as it makes it easier maneuver the engine when it's first coming loose from the tranny and mounts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.