Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am begining to sand the body on my mustang, what grit sandpaper should i use? I have an electric orbital sander can I use it? Most of the paint on the car is not that bad but I don't know what's under it, but there are some rust spots so do I need to sand to the metal on the whole car are not? Lastly should it be hand sanded or is there a better way to sand it?

thanks

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Hello janderson,
Pictures would help us. I agree with Cindys however i would go a bit further.
What are the plans for the car? Are you just touching up a few spots or will the whole car be painted?
If just a few spots. Sand down as much rust as possible to get to shinny metal. You may create holes that will require "bondo" to fill.
After sanding, spray a good rust convertor on it. Allow to dry completely.
Then prime with good primer such as "Rust-oleum:. Then get some wet/dry sandpaper (usually black). Now sand by hand using a block of wood wrapped with the sandpaper. Now sand well. Then spray a primer coat again. Allow to dry then you can get a spray can (color matched) by the paint code on the car. A dealership or auto paint supply house can help here. Remember...several light thin coats of paint give the best results. Print Dad

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help, but I have to paint the whole car. It has been primed a few times by different people but only to different sections of the car, so some has more paint than others. I can't post pictures but the hood, roof and trunk of the car are rusted pretty bad, but only on the surface. The sides aren't that bad but the different levels of primmer and the fact that I don't know if they sanded off the origanal paint makes me won't to sand them to. As to bondo where can you get the stuff and how much does it cost?

·
Registered
895 Posts
I would use a 180 to start, I don't like to use power sanders on cars because I like to feel the depressions and high points and you have more control by hand. If you are planing to shoot another layer of primer, I would sand everything down with 180, then I would shoot a light filler primer, sand that with 400 by hand again, and then shoot a darker primer and look small body work to do.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If your going to sand the whole car to bare metal i would start with paint stripper and save yourself some time just make sure all the chrome trim and lights are off the car this would be the fastest method to get off heavy layers of paint

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How does paint stripper work and where can you buy it? Is it like a paste that you spread on the car and then scrape it off? And do you still have to sand it?

thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
you can get the paint stripper at home depot or a hardware store you spread it on the car then scrape it off u will still have some sanding to do but less since the stripper will remove layers off

1 - 8 of 8 Posts