Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a rookie, so bear with me. I recently replaced the starter relay in a 1967 mustang with a 289 and automatic transmission, after getting the typical rapid clicking sound when turning the ignition. This resulted in the electronic rotating sound of the starter motor, but it would not engage or crank the engine. Next, I replaced the starter with a Pep Boys rebuild which looked identical. When I turned the ignition, it would sound as if the engine was just starting to crank, but it would become silent after a split second. After 2-3 more attempts, the new relay began clicking rapidly.

Battery voltage is good, battery and starter cables are new, and there was no grinding, thud or other sounds. Did I get a faulty starter which destroyed the new relay, or do I need to look a little deeper to find an underlying cause? If I do need to try again with a new starter, any recommendations?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery cables and starter cable all new. Do you mean the other cables off of the relay?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It sure sounds like you have low voltage to the starter. If you have a voltmeter, check the voltage at the starter while trying to crank. I'm betting you will find less than 9 volts. Whatever the reading, compare it to the reading at the battery posts while cranking. If there is more than 1 volt difference, you are losing too much in the cables and connections. If it is low at the battery, then the battery is probably weak. A bad battery can have a good voltage reading while not under load.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I would agree with 01cobradude that your battery may be bad under a load even though it may give 12 or more volts without a load. Also, check that the battery terminals aren't oxidized and sand or wire brush them clean and put dielectric grease on them-a bad connection there could be a culprit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.