Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1967 mustang coupe and its got a C4 transmission in it. When I start the car from cool it will drop into neutral and back into drive when at idle speed or at a stop. It goes back and fourth fast and i have to hit the gas sometimes to get it back in gear. after about 10 - 30 min, when the car gets hot it stops. I've asked a lot of people and got a lot of answers so i am very confused on whats happening. I just purchased "Lucas transmission fix" bottle and i haven't used it yet because I'm afraid of messing up my trany. If you have any advise for me that would be great! please let me know!

Thanks, Sterling

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Did this problem start after a trans. filter and fluid change? Have you done anything to the transmission's valvebody, like installing a shift kit? Have you installed or adjusted anything related to the shifter and or its linkage?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, I bought the car from a family friend and He said that the transmission had just been rebuilt, right before his son over heated the car. He said that the trans was built up to withstand about 800 horses and was in good shape. When I purchased the car from him the engine was ceased and hadn't ran in about a year. That's when i dropped in a new engine. I changed out the filter and replaced the fluid and checked it weekly. The level hasn't changed in the trany sense I've had it. I haven't done anything to the shifter at all and i know i don't have any leaks because the level never changes.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
On certain year C4 transmissions the filter has a small lip that retains a check valve which is made up of a small spring and plunger. When the filter is removed, these pieces will drop down and out of the valve body.

Is there a possibility that the pieces of the check valve were installed backward? The plunger part should go in first, followed by the spring. Or was it that the pieces weren't reinstalled?

The reason for centering on this component of the transmission is the fact that the transmission wasn't disturbed except for the filter and check valve assembly.(If you have this type of valve body) I'm assuming that the trans. was working correctly before changing the filter.

On the C4s that don't use the filter to hold the check valve in place, there is a different design that uses a separate pin that does this and the check valve isn't disturbed when changing filters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.