Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to tell if I have a C4, C5 or C6 transmission. There is a stamp on the side of the transmission. with a big "A" and below the A it states C6AP-7D027-C
Can anyone tell me what this means?

Thx in advance

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
The C6 in the C6AP means it is a 66 year, the C4 has a separate bell housing, the C6 type trans has an integrated bell housing, I don't think the C5 was in production yet. Paul S or Veronica might be able to give some more info. Unless you have a big block motor it should be a C4. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
All aluminum, detachable Bell, and a small square(ish) pan identifies a C4.
C5 didn't enter the scene until after 79 so unless it has been swapped you don't have one - they look very much like a C4 but the front band adjuster is fine thread and the cooler fittings are 1/4" pipe instead of 1/8 pipe as on the C4.
The C6 is a lot bigger, all cast in one piece, and has a large rectangular pan with a notch in the corner.

Just above the manual (shifter) lever on the case are two circles. The one toward the rear of the case has two numbers cast in that are the month and year of casting. That is one more way to tell if your transmission was swapped.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.