Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello. I am restomodding a 67 coupe. I am right now in the middle of installing an american autowire wiring harness. what a nightmare. I hate wiring. so here is my question. my car did not have any of the windshield washer equipment installed in it. it was basically a shell. I know that in 67 the washer is a funky mechanical pump thing that I really don't like. I found one on ebay but I am not excited about using it. hasn't anyone figured out a way to make an electrical pump work on a 67 yet. I understand that the park circuit on the wipers is tied into the washer pump wiring so I know that if I can't find someone who has come up with something else I will have to use it.

so the question has anyone been able to convert the mechanical windshield washer pump on a 67, 68 to an electric pump and make the park circuit work properly?

I know if anyone has it will be someone here. so heres hoping:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
183 Posts
That sounds like a great idea, I have not heard of anything like that before. I kinda don't mind that foot pump washer, I think it's pretty cool to realize how they did it back then compared to just pulling the window wiper handle back and it all does the work for you.

I remember searching for a blinking eye window wiper motor too, but still no results for something like that. It's as if people don't really care to have these cars as their daily drivers like you and me.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
This shows how little I know about Mustangs. My son's 66 has electric washers built in to wiper switch, pull to pump. I did do away with the bag and put a dual res. plastic container from a 88 Ranger on it. Built in pump and it added the radiator overflow feature at the same time.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This shows how little I know about Mustangs. My son's 66 has electric washers built in to wiper switch, pull to pump. I did do away with the bag and put a dual res. plastic container from a 88 Ranger on it. Built in pump and it added the radiator overflow feature at the same time.
you see the problem. the 65 and 66's have the electric pump. the 69 and on have an electric pump. only the 67 and 68 have the mechanical pump. I think it should be possible to adapt a 69 or a 66 windshiield wiper motor and wire it up to some kind of a contact switch or I guess I could just put in a 65 style wiper motor switch and just do something else with the switch slot in the instrument cluster. I am sure someone who understands how these works better than I do can come up with some answers.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I never messed with it since I like the simplicity and difference of the '67 foot pump, it's like manual intermittent wipers!

I don't think it would be too difficult to look at the schematics and tap into the wire that activates the wiper motor and run a wire to a universal washer pump mounted in the engine bay. That way when you hit the foot pump the wipers turn on and the washer squirts. You may have to hold your foot down longer to get a good full squirt.

You could use a test light to see which one has juice when the pedal is depressed.
Jon

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats a good idea jon. I found a complete upgrade set with a nice billet washer fluid tank pump and hoses for 139 dollars. I just was thinking of getting rid of the pump altogether. but with your idea that might work. that would also avoid the problem of the leaking o-ring rusting out the floor. I think I will give it a try. I guess I will go ahead and buy that pump off ebay and see about converting it. thanks Jon.

I emailed my friend Ron Bramlett of mustangs plus and asked him about it. what I would like to see is someone make a replacement switch that has the controls built in so that you move the lever to the far right and hold it it squirts. but that is beyond my ability. your idea I think I can make work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need help running the hoses that move the windshield washer fluid

How do I run the hose from the reservoir to the pump pedal and on to the windshield? Any pictures or diagrams would help

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
How do I run the hose from the reservoir to the pump pedal and on to the windshield? Any pictures or diagrams would help
On 67-68 the hose from the reservoir is run alongside the headlight harness back to the firewall between the hood hinge and master cylinder. Then another hose comes back out at the same spot and curls upward between the hinge and master cylinder to the lower cowl lip on the driver's side.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts