Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 67 coupe in South Carolina. The place I got it from has a 68 Cougar with a 9 inch rear end. This is my first Ford rebuild so I know little about the 9 inch. He says it will bolt right up but I want to verify that. The other question I have is its configuration. Since I've worked mostly on GM products I am familiar with the GM Posi Traction and I understand that it is called something else on Fords. I wanted to know if all 9 inch Fords are posi, if not do I verify this the same as with GM by spinning the tires and checking to see if they both spin in the same direction at the same time, and if it isn't a posi traction rear end can it be rebuilt as one.

What are the best options if this isn't what I'm looking for in rear end.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
The 9" from the 68 cougar is a direct fit to your 67. Will bolt right in with no problem or concerns.

Ford's version of the infamous chevy "posi" is "traction lock". You can convert a Ford "non" traction lock to a traction lock simply by replacing the spool in the rear end. Just make sure you install a good 4-pinion spool. there are some original spools with only 2-pinions. Many after market spools made for this as well. Don't go on the cheap.

Unless you are familiar with replacing the spool. its best to have an experienced person do it. If you do decide to do it your self. Get the "ford 9" DVD from Bad Shoe Production before you even start changing the spool.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Kurt, read, or have it read to you, the axle code off the data plate on the Cougar door. A number (such as 5 for 3.00 ratio) will denote an open center, and a letter (such as E for 3L00) will show for traction-lock. These obviously assume the door and rear axle are original to the car. Also, these numbers are the same for 8" and 9" axles. The door will not tell you which axle you have. Only getting dirty will tell you. Find and read the (hopefully original) data tag bolted to the center section; which will give you ring diameter and ratio, as well as production date. There are many websites that will help you decode the data plates. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks so much you guys that's some awesome information. I will definitely check out the data info to verify the rear end. I'm hoping he will have the rear end out before I get there or I most definitely will be getting dirty. He is on the coast of south Carolina and they've gotten a lot a rain and the cougar is buried in the wee corners of the yard. Ken's 70 years old and isn't moving as fast as his younger days so we'll see. I pick up the car on 9 October so we are super excited. I will most likely do the rear end myself so I will for sure get the video to help out. I'll probably track everything here as well. I'm restoring an old Yamaha also and tracking all that on another site and its a lot of fun. The wife says I need to finish bike first so the mustang may sit for awhile but I'll be back as they say.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts