Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much back spacing is needed for a 255/60R15 in the rear of a 67? And for a 215/60R15 in the front of a 67?

I do not want them to stick out way past the fender. I'd like some AR torq thrust D's but they only have 3.25" bs.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
TTD's should have 3.75" bs, mine do:
Wheelsforless - Custom Wheels - VN1055765 - Torq Thrust D 15x7 5/4.5 - Vintage Wheels - Wheel Specials - Wheelsforless

I put 225/60/15 on the front of my '67 and with 1" drop springs and the shelby drop the fender barely slided the outer bulge of the tire on compression. I think with 215's I would have cleared and I've read of quite a few people using 215's successfully. I wish they made the TTD's in 4" or 4.25" bs affordably.

Can't help on the rear as I've got 225's there also but plan to put the widest I can when I get some strip tires so I'll be researching at that point. I rolled my lips F/R to cure the contact with the bulge. Tires don't stick out past the fenders as it was the inner lip that points in 1/2" that touched.
Jon

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I'm not going to say what you need, but tell you my experience with my 67. I have 15" X 8" wheels with 4 1/2" backspace front and rear. The front tires are 225/50-15. I also have Granada front disc brakes which brings out the wheel 5/8" further than stock on each side. The tires don't rub or contact the fender or frame through the full turning radius. The upper control arms are dropped 1 3/4" and the springs are 620s. The maximum drop on a 67-68 is 2". Wedge spacers must be installed on the upper ball joints with a drop beyond 1".

I actually don't care for the the diameter of this 50 series tire as it seems a bit small in relation to the wheel well opening, but the tread width looks good. There was no need to roll the fender lips. A 60 series tire is planned and would probably look better. Clearance would need to be checked, though.

On the rear I have 245/60-15s. The fender lips needed to be rolled with this tire and wheel combo. I have KYB Gas Adjust shocks and 5 leaves in the springs. They are stiff which limits the up and down travel. If I were to have a softer spring/shock combo, there would be contact with the fender just above the tire's outer most bulge, as this happened before I changed the springs and shocks.

I have owned two 67s, that were built at different assembly plants. One is a coupe and the other is a F/B. On each car there was about 1/2" difference per side in the rear between the tire and the fender. Neither car showed signs of ever being wrecked or qtr. panel replacement. You might check for this on your 67.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great help guys. This helps. I was actually thinking of putting 50's on at one time just to get the wide tread look. I wondered how BFG's would look at 50.
So I should probably look at 4.5" backspace. And maybe I'll stick with the 245/60R15 on the back. It's raised a bit at the back by the PO but still has 4 leafs.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
American Racing made my wheels. I ordered the 15"Dia. X 8" Wide for the 67 Mustang. They specified the 4 1/2" back spacing. This car is a restomod.

In the rear there seems to be room for at least an additional inch of backspace. The front is just right at 4 1/2". You have to watch for clearance at the upper balljoint as this seems to be a problem area for clearance.

I don't think that you'll like 225/50-15s I tried them on both the front and rear. They seem to get lost in the wheel wells. There's too much open area surrounding the tire. A kind of roller skate look if that makes any sense.

I prefer the old school appearance with these cars with the tire having some sidewall. If you go to a larger diameter wheel, don't go with 16", go with 17s. The rim on the 16s line up too close to the upper balljoint.

On the front wheel width and the 215/60-15 tire size, a 7" width wheel would probably be better than an 8".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any up dates on what you did?
before and after Pictures?
I'm going thru this same process now.
I have an original 67 GTA fastback with a 390 big block that has sat in a detached 3rd car garage for over 20 years until I bought it last year.
It had and I replace with new of the same, 225/60/14 in front and 245/60/14 in back. From the ground to the top center of the wheel well, mine measures 24 3/4 front and 25 rear, but overal the car appears lower in the back with no empty space in the rear wheel well and about 3 to 4 inches above the tire in the front. however, overal the car appears lower in the rear.
what did you go with in terms of sprines, tires and rims and how does it look and measure out???

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any up dates on what you did?
before and after Pictures?
I'm going thru this same process now.
I have an original 67 GTA fastback with a 390 big block that has sat in a detached 3rd car garage for over 20 years until I bought it last year.
It had and I replace with new of the same, 225/60/14 in front and 245/60/14 in back. From the ground to the top center of the wheel well, mine measures 24 3/4 front and 25 rear, but overal the car appears lower in the back with no empty space in the rear wheel well and about 3 to 4 inches above the tire in the front. however, overal the car appears lower in the rear.
what did you go with in terms of sprines, tires and rims and how does it look and measure out???
Hey sorry, I havent checked this thread in a while. What I actually did was spend the money on a new engine. Next summer I will have to get new tires. I think I will keep my rims. They are kind of rare as I've come to find out. They are Keystone Blackstars. The only other place I've seen them is on the AKH wheels website, and that's only recently that they've been added to the site. Besides people love them.

Your tire combo sounds perfect. The only thing that I think helps with the stance of my car is the back is raised an inch. It gives it a flat stance. You must have 7inch wheels on the back to fit 245's? Mine are 14x6 so I have 235/60's out back and 195/70 in front.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts