Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide what I want to do with a 1967 mustang fastback. I am thinking of an authentic Shelby Gt 350 clone car. I can't find how and maybe it is not possible, to convert a 289 to replicate the shelby motor. Can any of you vets educate me and how to best do this. I know this is a bit of a broad post but I want to determine if this idea can be done and the always painful question, can I afford this idea? Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Making the motor look authentic isn't all that difficult ! The hardest part its not something that can be done are making the part numbers correct. Do some research with SAAC and maybe google. There are numerous books which could help you out as well.
Amazon.com is a good start..

Here's a pic I found when doing a web search via Google.com

http://www.nvsaac.com/photogallery/images/1967/350/67_350_2648_i.jpg

Notice the Shelby tag on the right side above the windshield fluid reservoir?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great suggestions on the SAAC! What about modifications to the motor...to achieve the correct HP/components?

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) The 67 GT-350s had a K code motor. The only things that Shelby did to them was swap out the intake and carb for an S7MS Shelby aluminum intake. The carb was a 715 Holley on the four speed cars, and, on the automatics, it was either a the 600 cfm Autolite or a 715 Holley, depending on the particular car. Some came with one, some with the other, with no apparent rhyme or reason to which car got which. They even kept the K code exhaust manifolds. Here's what it should look like. Hope that helps. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Mustang Monthly has run a series of articles on the rebuild of the 289 HIPO. They also give info on what old Shelby did for mods on the engine that went into the GT350s. www.mustangmonthly.com may have them posted. If not, the Dec 08 and Jan 09 issues contain them and are available from their back issue service.

Tony D. Branda Performance www.cobranda.com has all kinds of parts to build up a GT350 clone. They even have the template to do the 1" upper control arm drop as well as a bunch of related info.

I think the most expensive parts are going to be in the fiberglass body pieces. I'll let you decide. At least they're available. Good luck, I hope you get to build what you want.

·
Registered
850 Posts
....67 GT-350s had a K code motor....on the automatics, it was either a the 600 cfm Autolite or a 715 Holley....
Hey Veronica,

Did '66 GT350 automatics come with the 480 CFM Autolite 4100 carburetor? The Jan 09 MM 289 Hi-Po Rebuild article states the unmolested car had one. If yes, I guess it didn't give enough juice, so they upped it to 600 CFM or 715CFM for '67.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/mump_0901_1966_shelby_gt350_rebuild_engine/index.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.