Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

After a few months of looking, I found the 67 Coupe I would like to restore. My original plan was to restore it then give it to my dad, but last month he went out and got a 2012 Mustang. So I decided to get one and keep it for myself. The old guy in a young mustang, and the young guy in an old mustang. :)

I found a coupe with limited body rust, a 302 (from a diff mustang), manual tranny, horrible interier, and not currently running that I picked up locally. I got it to my house yesterday and have started slowly pulling it apart/exploring.

The wheels on it are rusted pretty badly but I almost have all the lug nuts off. ;-) My question is, does anyone know what type of wheel it is? It doesn't look stock, they look sorta like the magnum 500s. Anyone know if they are worth fixing up?

Thanks,

- Archer

Attachments

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Looks like some aftermarket wheel sold in the '70's, for the cost of rechroming, having to get them straight/balanced, etc. I'd just get a set of new ones that you like. I know there's a way to search google images with a pic but can't figure it out.

You've got a lot of work ahead of you there, what's with the 2 solenoids and the hanging one not being grounded?

Welcome to the madness, once it's running you'll get more attn. than your dads...
Jon

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Congrats! It doesn't look too bad, except for that wiring under the hood. That looks royally butchered.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
The rims are cragar with out the center caps and they are remade.Yeah that wiring looks hacked and that paint job scares me they over sprayed under the hood bad so who knows what else they cut corners on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats! It doesn't look too bad, except for that wiring under the hood. That looks royally butchered.

Ya the wiring is a mess. He got it from his brother 10 years ago when he went into the military. All he had done was repainted it for his Sr project and tried to get it running. The 2nd solenoid was his attempt to see if that was the issue. He said that he got to hear it run once a few years back and said it 'ran well'. Thankfully I got a good deal on it, less then what some of the rusted shells were going for on fleebay.

@66Sprint200, Ya it looks like he threw some parts into it to see if he could get it running.

@Andrewmp6 Thanks. He told me about some bondo work he did in the rear, who knows what else has been done in the past.

@Jonk67 My future wife told me that I needed a project. If she only knew. ;)

Still not sure if I want to get it up and running first, then restore it piece by piece or if I should just strip it down and start fresh.

Any ideas? What should I consider when making that decision?

Thanks,

~Archer

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
If you want to see if you can get it running, send me a message and I can come over and help. I'm off work for the week. I bet we could get it going.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Take a magnet off your fridge and try sticking it on random spots on the body the lower the better.Anywhere it don't stick has really thick filler and might be rust or a bad dent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts