Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im haveing extreme problems with pulley spaceing on my 68 302 thought it was the water pump nope then thought it was the pully nope thought it was the crank pulley now done to one option the balencer im positive the balencer is a 1967 289 3 bolt 6 3/8 diam. is this my problem is the 68 302 balencer diffrent i need it to be 1/8 inch longer to fix my problem. main question are they difrent. are they interchangeable and is it this or is it the crankshaft?

Thanks Tom

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Harmonic balancers are to cancel centripetal forces from various weights rotating on the crankshaft. A 302 uses the same pistons but has a different stroke so you should expect it use a different balancer than a 289. The 68 302s used two different balancers but neither of them were what was used on the 289s. By 1980 I don't know what they were doing but the balancers could have changed again although possibly not.

For 68 the 302 part number was either C8OE-6316-A1 or A2 depending upon who supplied them to Ford.

Wheher or not this has anything to do with your pulley offsets I don't know. My understanding was that the 65/69 crankshaft pulleys had the same offset which was 0.2" less than those from 62/64.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it has to do with balance but my problem is the pulleys lining up the bottom pulley needs to come out 1/8 inch to line up could the spacing on the balancer affect this i know its not the pulleys cause i tried them all and the water pump is right so I'm left with the balancer i know where it came from but could one be spaced out further or you don't know

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well it doesn't matter what balancer you use they are all 22.3 onces i belive so balance is the same until 1982 when it became 50 ounces but i found out that you can press the flange on the pump in or out to adjust it you just need a press but i ordered a new water pump and that should just fix my problem thanks for the help

Tom

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
up until 69 the balancers are all the same at 3" in 1970 they changed the balancer to a longer 3.95 inch setup.

the balancer isn't your problem. If you're running a vintage balancer with a vintage crank pulley, then something is wrong with either the length of your water pump or the water pump pulley.

eBay Motors: HP Harmonic Balancer Damper sb sbf Ford 302 5.0L 50 oz (item 170305512251 end time Mar-01-09 17:26:16 PST)

there is a 50 oz balancer for the later engines..this will not work for your car, but you can see on the chart on the bottom the length for vintage balancers.

it honestly sounds to me like you're using mismatched pulley's from different years.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah just solved my problem its the water pump it was defective i guess fromthe past and nobody cared so i bought a reman pump and fits perfectly the only things that were difrent for the balancers are the timing marks and some 4 bolt instead of 3 and thanks for the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts