Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about to swap out the engine in my 1968 coupe. it has a 302, and im putting in a new 302. Ive never done and engine swap before and im not sure what the process is. Can anyone tell me what needs to happen, or point me in the direction of a tutorial that will show me what i need to do? thanks in advance

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'd take a look at Amazon.com for a book that might be helpful.

I find it easier to install the engine with the transmission already attached. If you have an automatic trans, you might want to wait to fill it with fluid, since it will pour out when you tilt the assembly to install it.

I like to have the radiator out too, since it gives you more room.

You'll need a friend to help guide or work the hoist as you guide.

Some people like to dress the engine completely on the stand before installation, others don't. There is 1001 ways to do this, so the method you pick won't be wrong, it will just be the one you picked.

I know you want more specific info; the others will jump in.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is your new 302 the same as the old 302?? the newer 302 are balanced different than the earlier models.. The earlier models are 28oz balance ..the new models are 50oz balanced.. You can't interchange parts . You will have an engine vibration ...

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Hello Walter Kovacs,
Boy this is a tough one to answer.
This is a pretty easy job - -BUT - -it could be a lot of work
and there are some hazards associated with the job.

You will need to have a good assortment of tools, jack stands, hoist etc.

There are books out there for doing this swap and I suggest going to your
local library to find info out.

I think I would offer a few tips
1. - Work safe - -use jack stands if you go under the car
2. - wear goggles under the car and while working with fluids etc.
3. - TAKE LOTS of pictures before you start and during the job
4. - When you take things apart - -put the nuts and bolts in baggies and label
the parts.

Basically what you need to do is get the car ready to receive the new motor.
That means taking out the old motor.

For that - -you will need to determine if you are swapping the transmission as well or are just doing the motor.
If you are just doing the motor - - you need to start with
1. - Draining all the coolant and disposing of it properly
2. - Remove the hood - - but mark the hinges where they meet the hood.
3. - Then you will need to disconnect the gas line, heater hoses, radiator hoses,
carburetor inkage - -shift linkage. etc etc

4. - The exhaust manifolds should come off the head if you are just swapping the motor otherwise- you need to seperate the exhaust after the y. Easier to drop the manifolds.

5. - If automatic - -you will need to remove the inspection plate from the bellhousing and undo the bolts on the flex plate.

6. - As others have mentioned - -it may be wise to remove the radiator for more room - -this is optional on most removals but you don't want to hit the radiator.

7. - Then you need to attach chains to the motor for a place to hoist from.

8. - Disconnect the motor mounts

9. - Remove all the electrcial wires that attach to the motor such as alternator - -sending units etc etc

10. - You will need to lift the motor and pull it slightly forward before pulling it upward.

MY ADVICE - - this can be done pretty easily - -BUT do research before you start the project. YOu can get hurt or break things so be carefull.

DO NOT start the job unless you understand most of what I have written.
If you don't know what an exhaust manifold is - -STOP>

Trust me - - I love helping especially newbies BUT - -this can be a lot of work.

Once you learn about these classics - -it becomes a LOT safer and easier.

Once the motor is pulled - -then it is a matter of putting the new motor in. There can be some issues with this as well. Brackets and pulleys may have to be swapped.

My FINAL ADVICE - -learn some more before you start and then we can give you step by step help.

We all start knowing NOTHING so don't feel bad or aggravated with what I write - I am only trying to help you with this project.

LASTLY - let us know - -what type of transmission - -auto or standard and what you plan to do in that area.

I am rooting for you and am just trying to give you an idea of some of the stuff you will need to do.

Print DAD

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips guys. Im not exactly new to auto work as i have been working on my car for about a year now, and will be doing it with my dad who has years of experience but has never done an engine swap. Ill be doing it at a hobby shop on a marine base that has lifts and professional mechanics to give advice so i should be ok with the procedure. It has a automatic transmission that ill be re-usind until i can afford a new one. All of your tips have been helpful, so thanks for replying. Ill be sure to let you know how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts