Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for a while and not had any luck finding info on removing the converitble vinyl window. My window is still in good shape but has clouded as most do. I would like to remove the window and buff it out with the plastic window cleaner used on jeeps. I have seen before and after of a window that was cloudy and then buffed out. It was amazingly clear.

My question is: Can I take just the vinyl window out by unzipping it and removing the bolts at thebottom in the center piece without messing up my whole top? It looks pretty straight forward but I figured I would ask before I started disassembling it.

·
Registered
743 Posts
In short, yes you can.

The window attaches with the zipper at the top, and several bolts along the bottom. You will need to remove or at least unscrew the well liner where it attaches along the rear of the well, and then unbolt from there. This isn't going to be as easy as unzipping a Jeep top, as the rear window isn't really made to be unzipped very often. There is a reference in the owner's manual that the rear window can be unzipped to increase airflow through the car (laying the window in the well, I assume), but I don't believe I have ever seen anyone actually doing this.

Lubricating the zipper with a silicone lubricant, such as those found at parts stores, will greatly ease the zipping and unzipping. Silicone lube is in a spray can and is a "dry" lube. I used that stuff on my door window tracks after replacing the felts and it made a huge difference. Just spray down the zipper before unzipping.

The only problem, once you get the window out, is that it is still attached to a curved metal bow with staples and won't lie completely flat on a table. I would NOT try to remove the window from the metal bow, as this will be laborious and reattaching is likely going to result in the alignment being off and possibly affecting the appearance (wrinkles) when the window is reinstalled.

The alternative is to twist yourself up in a knot and polish the window in place. Make sure you are using a professional grade polish, as I haven't had too much luck with the crap they sell at Autozone.

Also, it might help to unhinge the top at the windshield and lower it a hair, to take the tension off the top while unzipping it.

Michael

1 - 2 of 2 Posts