Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got our 'Lucy' a little over a week ago and have noticed she smokes under rev. She also misses/stumbles on initial warm up.
We're working our way on fixing little things and going from there but I am curious as to what I need to go at for the smoke. It's white/gray for those who will need to know to answer. I've poked around on a few threads but only a few were specifically for a 200 ci.
I've seen headgasket suggestions but I'm not sure thats our issue.
She starts right up but we don't know how long she sat and if it's oil that needs worked out of her system since she wasn't drained or not. We've emptied and refilled the rad since we had to get her a new hose. Put new plugs in a day after we got her home.
It's also a 3spd manual transmission since I have seen things about auto trans modulator or something like that...
Let me know some input from you experienced mustang guys and gals.
:worship
As for the miss, it's mild to the best we can know without taking her on the road is that its just upon initial warm up when you rev her, or stomp in my husbands case.
Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Pull the sparkplugs and you'll be able to tell by looking at them. White smoke is antifreeze...usually. Headgasket hopefully. The worst case is cracked head or block.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Hello Githerz,
First - Good Luck with "Lucy" she sounds great.

SECOND - rodbender pretty much has thw white smoke covered but I would like to elaborate and encourage a bit more.
It seems as though perhaps you are a newbie so I would like to point out several bits of info.

1. - Smoke is an idnication of something not right. It is the same for 4 - 6- 8 cylinder cars. There will be issues that are applicable to juts six cylinders but not smoke.

2. - Always think simple - - Don't go worrying about things like a head gasket just yet.

White smoke could be the result of condensation sitting in the exhaust. We could use a little more "history" on the car. Was she sitting? Does she smke after warm-up?
Do you see blue smoke?

There are many issues that could cause a motor to smoke. Often times it is just a simple fix. Things like a sticky choke could cause a rich mixture and thus black smoke. A choke could also me leamning the mixture.

Simple things like a dirty air cleaner, fule filter, carb out of adjustment will all cause Lucy to run poorly.
Do you kow when was the last time she was tuned?

So my message here is pretty simple. THINK SMALL at first. Sure there could be major issues but 85% of the time it is just a little thing.

You gotta check timing, point gap, choke operation, vacuum lines etc etc.

Just to help perhaps put your mid at ease - - pull the oil dipstick - - if you see see a milky foam - - TROUBLE - - -my guess you will not see anything.

Let us know a little more. Be happy to own a classic and be prepared for som simple adjustments and fixes.

Print Dad

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aww phooey, my post after rod's never went through. lol I was getting a lot of Database Error the last couple of days.
Anyways.
We've checked the oil, it's not milky/foamy or anything other than ordinary.
As I said in my initial post on this thread, Print, we don't know how long she sat. It could have been 20 years, it could have been 10. It could have been less. The guy we bought her from only owned her for 2 months before our transaction.
We have a new fuel filter to put on her, we just haven't yet while we work on other stuff. As for tuning up, we're working our way through that process. Monthly bills being paid now so the end of the month is when we can go about buying more items. :D
We've done her plugs and oil, as well as radiator coolant for now. I'm positive there are more things to go through but it's all gotta wait for the next couple weeks.
Thanks to both Rod and Print. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.