Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im not sure if this has been asked before but I have a 68 mustang coupe with the original 289 and c4 still in it.

I plan on taking those out and restoring over the next year.

For the time being I have a 93 hatchback with a built 302 carbed and a t5 trans. What all is needed to swap this into the 68?

thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
motor mounts are the same so you need the trans cross member then the whole clutch system and shifter its not that bad i dont believe. But i havent done that so im not 100% on how hard it is but shouldnt be bad.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
change the oil pan and pump/pickup tube to the vintage style.

use the vintage motor mounts. Keep the serpentine setup and pick up a radiator with the outlet on the other side, or (and this will be easier...as you can use your stock radiator) use the vintage timing cover, accessories and radiator.

if you use the vintage timing cover and accessories, then you'll need a 50 oz balancer for the early 3" width. I suggest the professional products balancer. It comes in the early width, but also offers spacers so you can use it for the later style too...it offers the early 3 bolt crank pulley style AND the later 4 bolt pulley style, it's drilled for both. It also has three sets of timing marks..so if you use the vintage setup, you can see the timing marks on the dr side

you can run the late model bell housing clutch and t5. don't bother pulling any of it apart. Grab one of the t5 conversion x members on the market and use the c4 trans mount.

I HIGHLY suggest going cable driven on the clutch setup. I highly suggest the mustang steve quadrant. However, don't use the cable he provides, use the 96-04 adjustable ford racing cable It's longer, a direct fit, and will clear headers up top.

You can buy an aftermarket clutch pedal to slide into your automatic assembly...they're easy to find. I also suggest the mustangsteve roller bearing setup too for the pedal assembly.

some need to shorten the c4 driveshaft 3/4 of an inch, others don't. trial fit first. the stock c4 speedo cable and gear will work.

that's about it. You "should" be able to get a stock type shifter in without trimming the trans tunnel. just bolt the shifter on before you put the trans up. However, I cleared a couple of inches off the back of the shifter hole...and I got a pro 5.0 shifter to fit perfectly.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay thanks alot man. If you can, do you have a ballpark price on what you spent to do the whole swap?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
what I spent isn't a fair representation...I got the entire t5 and engine for $500 from a friend, then had another friend weld up the mustang steve stuff for a 1/3 what steve wanted.

x member 150 + ship
t5=150-600 on average for a used one
-clutch pedal setup could set you back a couple hundred or more.

I'd set aside an honest grand for the conversion. If you're resourceful like me, it'll cost way less

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah im going to try out at my dads shop for a clutch pedal out of a 68. thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
142 Posts
V8only offers good and accurate advice. I'm in the process of swapping out a c-4 for a T-5 in my '68, but wanted the vintage look of a linkage clutch system rather than a cable.

I had to shorten my c-4 driveshaft by 3/4" and I got a shifter from modern driveline to avoid having to cut the trans opening on the floor. If you are not concerned about cutting the floor opening, it's perhaps about an inch or two of cutting involved.

Mustang Steve's T-5 conversion cable kit is nicer than Modern Driveline's. (a friend of mine ordered both kits)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts