Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i have a 68 302 thats leaking looks like a mix of oil and water out of one tailpipe. the other tailpipe is ok . i do not see anything but oil on the dipstick. the anti-freeze looks good too. i just changed the head gasket and a broken rocker arm and that didn't help. any suggestions ?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Could it just be carbon and water? My car will do that on a cold morning while the choke is set, clears up once the choke is off. If for some reason you are running to rich on one side, you might see this.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey guys, any more suggestions before i start tearing the heads off. i am thinking possable cracked or warped head.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
try draining some oil first and leave it set in a milk jug. If you have coolant in the oil the coolant will form a layer beneath the oil in the milk jug.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is happing to me too, but i had just washed the engine compartment, and i think some water got into the exhaust manifold and is just now getting thrown out the pipe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
any more suggestions, i took the head off and had it checked at a machine shop; its ok. next step to visually check the cylinder for a crack. don't know what else to do after that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
suggestions

how about a radiator pressure test?

I cant rem the exact tool name but you screw it on the radiator, and pump it up, if your system has a leak somewhere it should show,

now unkonwn if this would show a head leak But, being its the water cooling system, i'd think it may tell you somthing. May not work though, just a guess.

dont they also make some ink or dye for testing for head gasket or crack leaks? I've seen em in magazines before, never used.

hope this helps. Good luck!
T

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Water in the exhaust is pretty normal, as one of the main byproducts of gasoline combustion. Oil (make sure it's not just soot, got some nice rings on my garage door from water/soot being sprayed all over) would only be there if you have bad piston rings or valve guides.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.