Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1968 Mustang coupe that I am considering restoring as a 427 clone. The problem is that I do not have any info on the options available with a 1968 Mustangs with the 427 engine. For example, was the 427 only available on GTs? What transmission (auto C4 or C6) were offered with the 427? Let me know what options would recreate a correct clone of a 1968 Mustang with a 427 engine. Thanks...

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I really don't think the 427 was an option, only the 428. Lots of old rumors that there were some but just rumors. As far as the trans, it would have been the C-6 with the big 1 3/8" input spline. Good luck with the project!
Dave

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
The 68 and half was the 428cj kinda a rare drag package car.I know some of the shelbys used a 427 no clue what years.I'm sure there is a member or two on here who can tell you better wait for them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ford sales literature of the time stated there was a 427 option for the 1968 Mustang and it even specified the VIN engine code designation as "W". I also vaguely remember that it may have been mated to an automatic tranny. To this day, I don't believe one has ever surfaced or been accounted for. I guess you could call the "W" code '68 Mustang a bit of a Unicorn.:hihi:

So if you are looking to make a replica of something that doesn't exist, I guess that kinda throws the "replica" part out the window. If you still want to make a replica...then a "R" code 428CJ car would be a better choice.

In the end, just make the car the way you want it....

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello. :) The 427 was an option for the Mustang in 68, but, according to Kevin Marti, Ford didn't actually build any like that, and, he would know, since he has Ford's records. The 'W' code was the 427 4bbl. The dual quad 427 was the 'R' code.
As far as the Shelbys go, there were some 427 Cobras that actually had 428s in them. Those guys were not very happy with that. :nogrinner

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've read there were no '68 Mustangs with 427s in them. There were some W code Cougars, though (GTEs).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.