Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a 1968 mustang coupe. everything on it is original including the engine. this is my first car (im 19) and my father and i plan to put in a lot of work over the summer to fix this baby up. most if not all work will be done ourselves. as soon as i pick the car up on friday i plan to take it to a shop and have them run a diagnostic on the engine to find out how urgently it needs to be replaced. if i wasn't short on money at this point in time i would skip this trip and replace it right away. however money is a little tight so i dont want to waste the money if it is not immediately needed. if it turns out i dont need to get a new engine in it right away im going to look to replace the transmission. this is where my first question is raised. what kind of transmission would you guys recommend? and how much (estimate) would this cost me? i would prefer a 5 speed manual transmission, but we dont know what will fit on the car. any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
73 Posts
t5 5 speed will work I just installed one in my 67 fastback you want to get it out of a 93 mustang which would be a world class t5. I paid 300 for mine and had to have it rebuilt extra 425. You can find them on craiglook its a search engine for craigslist. thats the easy part. However you need an adapter plate $100, for your bell housing and which must be a manual bell housing $100 for the bell housing a transmission cross member $100 clutch pedal assembly if it is not already a stick car $350. If money is tight do your own compression check on the engine its not hard. you can either buy it or rent the equipment from auto zone. Look online to get the correct compression and how to do it. I would start there and as you learn and search the threads on here you will have a great car. good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.