Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my car out today to take it for a ride and when I started it the amp Guage was in the middle but when I turned on my heater it went straight to the d. Then when using my blinker it starts to flutter in between the d and middle. My stereo is also crackling really bad which it never did and I suspect it's from what ever issue my amp Guage is indicated

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
It sounds like the charging system is not keeping up, you really need a voltmeter to check for sure. The AMP gauges in these cars are not very sensitive, it take a pretty good charge rate or discharge rate to indicate on the meter. If the charging is not working or not able to keep up, here are some things you can try:

1. Check the alternator belt tension, without the engine running, use your thumb and push on a cooling fin on the alternator pulley and see if you can turn it without turning the engine, if you can it is too loose and needs more tension.

2. If you have a voltmeter, you should have 13.2-14.8 volts on the battery with the engine running depending on the temperature under the hood, colder the higher the voltage, if you do not have a voltmeter, W-mart has a DVM for about $20, it will pay for itself the first time you use it and you solve a problem.

3. Clean your battery terminals, they can look good on the outside but be corroded (black) on the inside, once you get them clean and retightened, coat them with either a battery terminal spray or vasoline. Check the water/acid level in the battery, if low add distilled or de-mineralized water, tap water is okay if you do not have the other, correct level is just below the air vents of the cells, don't fill them to the top of the battery, as it expands and will push acid out.

4: If you are still having problems, clean the terminals on the regulator, disconnect the battery ground cable first, then clean the terminals on the regulator and the grounds, make sure the hold-down screws are not rusty, if you remove the regulator look at the wirewound resistor on the bottom, if they are broken, replace the regulator.

5: Post your results, if you are still having trouble, I will post some tests you can do to determine if the regulator or alternator is at fault.

Good Luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts