Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I need some help. I have a 68 mustang with a 289 that the brake lights don't work. I think that I have tried just about everything and just have not been able to get them to work.
Just so everything is understood. I have three 68 mustangs one is kinda in the state of repair and the other 2 are in excellent shape except one has a problem with the brake lights.

What I have done. I have checked the fuses and the turn sigs work and the running lights work so I have eliminated the fuses.

I have disconnected the brake sending unit behind the pedal and touched together with no lights (closing the circuit). I have also replaced this switch. The switch was taken from my other mustang and everything is working on that one so I know the switch is working.

I have replaced the turn signal switch in the steering column or at least taken it from a 3rd mustang that is in the repair state and tried it. It too did not work but worked in the other 68 that I have it did. While doing this I spliced the horn wire and ran to the brakes straight (green and green/white stripe) doing so caused the brake lights to come on but I was not pressing the pedal down. So I think that the lights all the way through are good.

I have replaced the bulbs in the rear and also changed the sockets.

I have also tried the emergency lights with the key on to see if the the pedal will cause the lights to come on.

The only thing that I can come up with is somewhere between the brake pedal switch (-) side there is a problem because it is not able to close the circuit with the (+) side since it has fire but again when they are both together I get nothing.

I would prefer not to completely pull the wire harness to look for a break but I think that is about where I am at. If I have too then I have too right.

So I think that I have just about everything in there. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Larry

·
Super Moderator
40,151 Posts
welcome to the site,enjoy!!!! sounds like a dead short,ohm test the wires to find which one,i suggest.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Any chance you wanna sell one of those '68 mustangs?
They are basically my dream car.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have the same problem with my '68. My brakes lights have NEVER worked since I bought the car. Since I am doing a complete resto/mod I am going to replace ALL the wiring. All I can suggest for you is to get a multi-meter and start going through the wiring. It has to be shorted someplace. Let me know if you find out what it is.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I have one that you may not have heard. I was driving home from work one afternoon and had a guy pull up next to me to hear him holler that I didn't have any brake lights. It just so happened that I was right there in front of the NAPA store. I pulled in and bought a brake light switch, figureing that was what usually causes the problem. It wasn't.

I started checking the wiring and found that right behind the switch connector, where the terminal is crimped to the wire itself, the wire was broken. The insulation was intact, but it seemed that the wire was a little too flexible. Sure enough the copper portion of the wire had broken from the back and forth motion of the brake pedal and the wire, being ridgidly mounted to the pedal via the switch.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
I have one that you may not have heard. I was driving home from work one afternoon and had a guy pull up next to me to hear him holler that I didn't have any brake lights. It just so happened that I was right there in front of the NAPA store. I pulled in and bought a brake light switch, figureing that was what usually causes the problem. It wasn't.

I started checking the wiring and found that right behind the switch connector, where the terminal is crimped to the wire itself, the wire was broken. The insulation was intact, but it seemed that the wire was a little too flexible. Sure enough the copper portion of the wire had broken from the back and forth motion of the brake pedal and the wire, being ridgidly mounted to the pedal via the switch.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
Hello.:) That is weird.:headscratch: It just goes to show you, assume nothing about a 40+ year old car. I don't know if this will help or not, but here's a diagram of the brake lights in a 65/66. The later model cars worked in basically the same way.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I Got It

:waveyWould you believe that I have done all of this and all that it was was the pin in the connection had been pushed out. The pin was the one for the ground on the switch. I found it as soon as I started tracing the wires and thinking that the ground on the brake switch not closing the circuit.

I find out though the turn sig switch was bad from all of this but the other one worked good enough to get the lights working.

So thanks everyone for the ideas....:hihi:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.