Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get the most out of my stock 289 in my 68 coupe, but for now I'm focusing on a new carburetor, intake manifold, and headers & exhaust. I'll probably get a new camshaft and heads later. For the carburetor, I'm looking at a Holley 4160 4 barrel. Intake Manifold - something Edelbrock, probably a performer. and lastly some Hedman or Doug Thorley headers, with Magnaflow exhaust system. If anyone has any suggestions/advice I'd be glad to hear them. Thanks -JC

·
Registered
131 Posts
Carb- 600 CFM should be OK, especially if you do the heads/cam upgrade later. Be careful about going any bigger. Since you aren't going too wild I would stick with vacuum secondaries.

Headers- I prefer long tube headers (I like Hooker Super Comps) but a lot of folks swear by the tri-Y style.

Intake- Performer is a good solid intake, might think about the E-Brock RPM Air Gap. Haven't tried one but heard good things. Make sure you stick with a dual plane intake.

Exhaust- Dual exhaust with an X or H pipe. I like Hooker low back pressure mufflers but Flowmaster is good as well.

Upgrade your distributor to an electronic set-up. Accel and MSD both offer good "plug-n-play" units. Get a quality high-flow air cleaner and put some heat wrap on your headers.

Sounds like you are on the right track.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Montana's advice is pretty solid. One thing about header wrap though, while good for capturing the heat expelled from the headers, they will also trap condensation between the wrap and the steel material of the headers, causing them to rust. If you get some headers that are powder coated, wrapping won't be necessary, the coating will serve the same purpose.

Don't use the tri-y headers in combination with an X-pipe cross over. The scavenging of the exhaust gasses which is the purpose of each design will cancel each other out. Use one or the other.

I am personally using a Weiand Stealth dual plane intake. Its design gives you the torque at lower RPMs of a dual plane and the HP of a single plane at higher RPMs. It has the broadest operating range of any manifold that I have looked at. I did quite a bit of research on this before I went with it.

I'm also using Hooker Competition headers. These are long tubes and the price is very reasonable. Quality and fit is also good.

You are correct on concentrating on a good intake and exhaust system as a starting point. Just don't fall into the pit of thinking that if big is good, bigger must be better. Stay on the conservative side and concentrate on torque. Torque is what gets you moving and a street car is dependent on torque for performance. HP doesn't come into the equation until the engine is at higher RPMs which most street engines don't see. A carb and exhaust system that's too big will cause you to loose torque (intake and exhaust velocity). Remember 289 cubic inches is a very small engine in the V8 world. Build up your engine so that each added component will compliment one another.

·
Registered
249 Posts
650 cfm holley carb, weiand intake, hooker headers, 2.5" flowmaster 40 series...true duels w/ "x" pipe

·
Registered
131 Posts
Greek...I have heard the "rust" thing from others about header wrap. If it's a drive once or twice a month or less car I would agree with you on the condensation. On a daily driver or even a once a week I feel that the exhaust heat will "burn off" any moisture on a regular enough basis that the benefits outweigh the risk of rust.

·
Registered
131 Posts
That's cool...I was just expressing my opinion. There are good and bad points to almost everything you do to these cars. I certainly acknowledge the effects of moisture build up associated with header wrap. Any time you enclosed something with a "fabric" you have to worry about moisture retention. I just feel that on an engine that is going to be fired up on a regular basis the header wrap has more pro's than con's. If header wrap gets me better performance over the course of 4-5 years...I can deal with buying new headers at the end of that time frame. Heck, I'm probably going to be thinking about a upgrade to what I have by then anyway!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.