Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, i have just purchased a 1968 mustang coup (289, auto). two problems...the car doesnt seem to wanna stop, it takes a lot of force for me to make it stop . i dont hear any grinding from the drums so i dont think it needs pads and i havent pulled off the drums yet to see. also when i start the car it stalls a lot when given gas. it will idle ok but when i give it a little gas it will stall. when i put it in gear and floor it, it will catch but continue to sputter and mis-fire. any solutions?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Im no expert, but the braking problem could be from low brake fluid or air in the lines. Bleed them and make sure you adjust the brakes with a brake tool. I had alot of trouble with sputtering like you mentioned. could be several things. Your carb could be flooding, could be a vacumn leak. Could be a timing issue, maybe a bad distributor.

I would start with checking your timing, put in new plugs wires cap, rotor and points. Maybe put a new distributor in. Is your carb new or old, 2 or 4 bbl? It might need to have the floats adjusted. Check for vacumn leaks. Make sure your air cleaner is clean. Maybe a new coil.

Hope this helps - Jason

1 - 3 of 3 Posts