Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i put a new alternator in and put the old v neck pulley but its dented a lil and when i rev the engine it comes out. the problem though is that i dont know if the wires are put where they are supposed to be does anyone have a diagram i can reference? the reason i put a new alternator is because the battery wouldnt charge. but since i installed it it still doesnt charge and it drains the battery over night. could it be the ignition switch? its a little loose. or the voltage regulator?

·
Registered
41,829 Posts
Welcome lets try your question in here.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) How the wires on the back of your alternator should be hooked up is a black wire with a red stripe on the grd post, a fatter black wire with a yellow stripe on the bat post, a white wire on the fld post, and a white wire with a black stripe on sta post. The wire on the stator post is for idiot light cars, and isn't used on cars that don't have the warning light. This might help. This is for 65/66 cars, but, the 68s are essentially the same. The voltage regulator is in a different location, but, the basic wiring is the same, unless you have a Shelby. If that's the case, you will have a junction block with two wires that the Mustangs don't have. A big wire goes straight from the hot side of the starter solenoid in to the console amp gauge. Another wire comes back from the gauge to the junction block, and a wire goes from the junction block to the bat post on the alternator. :)
The Care and Feeding of Ponies: Alternator and charging system

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ok thank you. where do i get the wires to replace the starting motor relay as my friend connected the white starting motor relay wire wrong in the alternator and the wire burnt i want to replace all the wires plus the starting motor relay and the starter motor so that my car can run on its own and stop draining the battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts