Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello this is my first build and im lost right now and i need help with parts for replacing the rear drum brakes or would it be cheaper to convert. and im trying to lower the front so its the same height as the rear, and lower it all 1' and replace all of the suspension. what parts do i need? also how much am i looking at for price? should i just send it to a shop and get it done or can i do it myself

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
rebuilding the rear drums is pretty easy and relatively inexpensive.

• Remove your drums and have them resurfaced if they still have enough thickness. O'reilly's or other parts stores do this for around $17 a drum.
  • Buy a new set of shoes. Don't remember what this costs but it's pretty cheap too.
  • Buy a new wheel cylinder for each brake. These were $12 each for me.
  • Buy a new spring kit (I think they come paired), and this was around $9 for me.
  • Buy a new rubber brake hose.
All of these things can be had from the auto parts store, you don't have to go through a Mustang supplier. If you don't have brake tools, get a brake tool set, which has the spring removal and installation pliers, and the shoe retaining spring tool. The set prob costs $20 and is worth its weight in gold.

While you have it apart, you can paint the backing plate and drums if you wish, I used black caliper paint and it's still holding up well 4 years later. Some rust poking through,but I could have used better product than what I did.

It also wouldn't be a bad idea to take the axle to a machine shop and have them press a new bearing on it.

The suspension is easy to do too, you will need to get a new alignment when you're done. Rather than repeat it, I'll link you to my blog posts where I explained what I did and what I changed out.

1967 Mustang Restoration: Rebuild phase 1 complete

1967 Mustang Restoration: Upper control arms: [Shelby] Drop em if you got em

·
Registered
337 Posts
When doing the front end, replace the old spring perches (saddle) with some roller perches and also a roller idler arm.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts