Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

Driving around the past couple weeks, I'd noticed a clicking coming from the front end of the car near the driver's side tire. I could usually hear it mostly when I was alongside something solid (driving near buildings, in construction where I'm alongside the giant cement barriers etc.). Recently, it's gotten more everpresent to the point where it was doing it loudly enough that I could hear it while just rolling along in neutral. Speed of the car's movement varies the frequency of the clicking.

Today, I also noticed something weird while driving. During acceleration, the car was fine. When I stepped off the gas and just rested my foot on the pedal, there was a vibrating feeling. The front end also vibrated and there was a "hum" from the car. Not sure if either of these things are related or it's just something that comes with old cars.

I've got four wheel drum brakes, which were inspected about two months ago. I've also had an alignment and new tie rods done in that period of time. I didn't have ball joints or wheel bearings done.

Any thoughts on what this is and how worried I should be?

Thanks,

Doc

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Clicking sound = I'd suspect the wheel bearings. The hum would be sticking drum brakes I would guess. When the brakes were 'inspected' what was done? Was anything replaced? Your wheel cylinders could be sticking which will keep the brakes applied and do what you describe. Try putting the car in neutral on a level surface and see if you can push the car or if it feels like the brakes are on. Don't forget to leave the emergency brake off.
Jon

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
After just seeing your thread title my head said 'wheel bearings.' I'm with Jon.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not the brakes, as I did the neutral thing and we're good. So wheel bearing are more likely the culprit.

How hard is this to go after? Again, I'm kind of a [email protected]$$ mechanic. I've managed to rebuild the carb, do the heater core, change the valve gaskets and such, but brakes (and brake-related areas) freak me out a bit.

Thanks!

Doc

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
The wheel bearings are quite easy to change. You don't need to remove the entire brake assembly, only the drum. I can't provide you detailed instructions myself because it's been a few years since I did it, but someone here will be able to (of course), or I'm willing to bet if you Googled it someone or some place might have it explained very nicely for you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The wheel bearings are quite easy to change. You don't need to remove the entire brake assembly, only the drum. I can't provide you detailed instructions myself because it's been a few years since I did it, but someone here will be able to (of course), or I'm willing to bet if you Googled it someone or some place might have it explained very nicely for you.
This should help you even though it's a disc brake car (drums remove like rotors). Go ahead and do both fronts while you're at it.

‪How To Replace Wheel Bearings‬‏ - YouTube

1 - 6 of 6 Posts