Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,

I have a new issue that has my car growing roots in the parking lot.

Recently I added a points elimination to my car... it worked fine then started acting up. I removed it and rewired the original distr. config.

the car is how it was, all wires (to my knowledge) are where they have always been. the car has driven fine for two years. Now the problem is, when i get in the car the dome light is on as normal. I turn the key and the light dies, i get no sound from the starter or anything. when i move the key back, the dome light begins to "warm up" (it builds to full luminance. So something is wired wrong I guess, I just don't know what. I have the manual and have checked out wiring schem. but everything seems fine.

I put in a new coil when i did my distr. things, I have tested with both coils and the same thing happens. And just in case i plugged the wires wrong, I switched the connections. + - . same thing (lights don't come on when its wired backwards... I just wanted to make sure i wasn't hooking things up wrong).

so thats all i have on what i have done and what might of caused it. I appreciate any help for you pros out there. or anything that just sort of happens over time, It might not be linked to the electronic ignition, but I just thought i should put all the details i could in here.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
You don't mention if you used the Pertronix or some other points eliminator.

The thing is ignore the points for now and go back to the basics. Is the battery good? Check that, the starter solenoid, the starter and those ignition connections.

The weak dome light and it going out points to a weak battery or a short.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with Jay H 237. To me this seems as if the problem lies somewhere other than the coil or the distributor. If I comprehended your story correctly, as soon as you turn your key to the "on" position, without cranking the engine, the dome light dies. Is this correct? If so, a wire may have came loose from your ignition switch, or something similar. If I misunderstood and the dome light cuts out when you try to crank your engine, and nothing happens, that would lead me to believe you have a broken wire, short, or completely dead battery as previously mentioned. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are correct about the dome light going off only when i turn the key. After i put the key back to the position one it starts to "build" power, then finally comes back on.

The battery has been tested and is good according to the local autozone (but we all know how reliable that place is), I don't have a charger but I might borrow one and charge it up just in case.

I had an accel system installed. I removed it and have gone back to the normal distr. configuration. I will check the ignition wires again. I did pull my key ignition out and check all the connections in the back, they seemed fine. I will double check.

thanks for the help so far, I will keep you posted. and if anyone has any other recommendations I am done for anything.

thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts