Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been debating on replacing the wiring harness of my 1968 Mustang because of a few issues. The few issues I have come across are:

Headlights do not work and are missing some wires
Tailights do not work and are missing quite a few wiring components
All of the dashboard lights do not light up
The turning signals are completely broken

The only thing that works electrically are the bulb under the dashboard near where you put your feet on the drivers side and the ignition.

Could anyone give me the steps necessary to fix these issues or advice on whether I should just buy a new harness or not....

Thanks! :grinroll:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
how good are you with electrical? from the sounds of things its been hacked up pretty good. imo I would start over its not that much work one afternoon to complete. just go with a good harness. they are not cheap though but when done you don't have a fire hazard. I would go with a stock harness from a supply house.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have been debating on replacing the wiring harness of my 1968 Mustang because of a few issues. The few issues I have come across are:

Headlights do not work and are missing some wires
Tailights do not work and are missing quite a few wiring components
All of the dashboard lights do not light up
The turning signals are completely broken

The only thing that works electrically are the bulb under the dashboard near where you put your feet on the drivers side and the ignition.

Could anyone give me the steps necessary to fix these issues or advice on whether I should just buy a new harness or not....

Thanks! :grinroll:
Get the Ford shop service manual for your Mustang. Also, check out Jim Osborn Publications. Here's the link: Jim Osborn Reproductions Inc.
There's a couple of good electrical help books available too. Don't not do anything until you have a schematic to help guide you. If you don't have any electrical tools i.e. 12v test light, VOM, flashlight/worklight and crimpers, pick those up at your nearest Autozone, Napa or WalMart. Next, start with the fuse box and make sure all the fuse are good. If not, replace the burned out fuses. Then crawl under the dash and start inspecting the wiring harness. Look for broken wires, cut wires, Loose wiring at the switches, corrosion, loose ground wires etc. If after inspecting, you think the under dash wiring section is history after 45 years of service, locate and buy a new one but don't remove the old one until you have the replacement in hand. If the old wiring harness is ok, then start repairing it using your schematic and books as the roadmap.

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts