Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to hear some opinions ................. 68 fastback ............. currently has power steering box but no pump ................. would you find a pump ,hoses and cylinder or just go ahead and install a rack and pinion upgrade ???? :headscratch:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
The first question is what are your plans for this car?

If you want the original look then finding the power steering parts is the way to go or making it a manual steering car and swapping some parts out to make it a little easier to steer that way. If the car is a big block (390 or so) then manual steering may not be something you'll really want as it will never be as easy as a 289/302/351 would be.

I'm guessing since you mentioned the rack and pinion upgrade that the original look isn't for you. In that case or if you're making this car a "driver" and not a cruise or show car only then the R&P would be a good choice.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well its not a numbers matching car , it doesnt have the original engine , so I dont feel compelled to stay strictly stock . this is my first restoration . .......... I'm not trying to make a show car , but I do want it to be VERY nice . .......... what are the drawbacks to R&P???

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Depends on who made the rack and pinion some you can't use long tube headers.Only time power steering is really used is low speeds like parking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.