Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently obtained a 1968 ford mustang and this will be the first car i have attempted to restore and hoping i could get some tips and good sites or buisness' to use in the restoration of this classic car any help is much appreciated thank you in advance and keep in mind i am new to restoration and rebuilding cars.:bigthumbsup

mainly looking for some good parts providers for engine. first i want to get it running needs a new carb for sure and the second set of pulleys that went to the rear belt pully on the crank has been removed. i am also going to need to rebuild the engine, want to do it for the expierience (or am i biting off more than i should with that) the radiator is also missing and need to get a hold of a new one. the car it self is also gonna need body work there is minor rust on the interior floor boards. the car hasnt run in round abouts of a year. i got it from a friend so ..... i want to restore it if i can, but dont know much about the history because it was her estranged husbands and i dont know him. body is relatively nice condition but gonna need some work on the front frame behind the lower valance which is rusted relatively bad.:headscratch:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was also wondering what parts might be interchangable with earlier or later year mustangs as far as stock parts go?

·
Registered
72 Posts
well first off, i'd get that frame looked at by a professional, because there could be more frame damage than meets the eye. and i'd also get some replacement floorpans (of course) dont just patch, they have whole new pans that make it 100% sure that all that rust is gone

Also,most parts on the 1967 are interchangeable with a 1968, but most of the other years dont really have any interchangable parts. however, not all 1967 parts can go on a 1968, usually their marked differently in parts catalogs according to year. And it might be easier to just swap in a crate engine (unless you want to keep the numbers matching), as its alot easier than fooling around time and time again trying to rebuild and engine.

Mustangs Plus and Mustangs Unlimited are pretty good for parts/ info. Year One is also pretty good, but their prices are higher. But DO NOT deal with dallas mustang, ive had a horrible time trying to get parts from them and they didnt send all my parts last time, and still charged me!

anyway, hope wou have a good time restoring this 168 mustang

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree with 68 black stang most important thing is to have the frame and torque boxes looked at in the front of the car its better to get the body situated before worrieng about the engine and mechanical parts (have learned from personal bad experience i built an engine before i started on the body of the car and eneded up needing quarter panels trunk floor front frame rails etc) also figure out what your looking to spend on the car

1 - 6 of 6 Posts