Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently inherited a 1968 mustang I know the carb is bad so I'm starting there but will eventually upgrade alot more.

I have no idea what size, kind or anything. I like the edelbrock performer series but need some size advice.Thanks

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:) If the carb that you have is in fact bad, and you really need to replace it, and it's a 4bbl, I wouldn't go with anything bigger than a 600cfm if it's a 289 or a 302, or a 750 cfm if it's a 390 or a 428 in the car. Personally, I like Autolites first and, if I can't find an Autolite that's right for my application, a Holley would be my second choice. But that's just me. I've never been a big fan of the Edelbrocks or the Demons, but, again, that's just me. Some people really like them.:)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Veronica is right...no bigger than a 600CFm on a 289/302. I only do small blocks so I can't say for anything above a 302.

As for easy tuning...the Edelbrock is about as easy as you can get (and you don't have to worry about a power valve) but it will limit your options in terms of upgrades. A Holley 600CFM can be built up as you build your engine up...but you better buy a Holley tuning book if you want to tweak it much. After 20 years I still struggle with carb tuning,

Bottom line...start with a 600CFM and go upward only if the engine changes you make demand it (and you have to make a LOT of changes to get a 289/302 to need more than 600CFM).

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you have a 302, then the Holley street avenger 570 cfm four barrel carb would be your best bet. I placed one on my 302, easy to adjust and sometimes depending on your application its ready to go straight out of the box!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
jb36jb has a good option. When I was looking for a carb, I either couldn't find or they did not offer (this was many moons ago) a 570 carb. That would be an excellent place to start. Holley has always been good about having the option to "upgrade" the carb you buy later on. A 570 should be plenty big enough for you to start with and give you some room to move up if needed.

If you buy a Holley though...as I said above...get a Holley tuning manual because they can be tricky if you haven't done it before (and sometimes even if you have).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys It's a v6 inline.
I just want it to run good and not be worried to take it on some roadtrips you know dependable with a couple perks that make it sound good. I'm leaning to the edenbrock just because no tweaking is necessary I used to work on jets and went to college for that stuff but I just wanna keep it simple.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
A 570 won't work with the 6cyl. That engine originally had a 1bl carb on it and still requires that unless you swap out the intake. There are several upgrades available for the 170/200/250 engines. I think TheGreek on here had info on what can be done. The 6cyl are good motors, they're just "choked" from the factory and with upgrades acn get decent performance out of them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.