Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So awhile ago i bought a "Painless Wiring Harness Kit" and I need some clarification on the ignition switch. The original harness has 5 wires going into it (excluding the ground that comes out of it), however the Painless Wiring Kit has 6 wires going into the ignition switch. SO, conveniently enough the painless wiring wires tell you exactly where the wires go to. My problem is that I don't know which wires are which on the original harness. All of the schematics I can find tell me which color the wires are, which is great except they don't tell me what the wires are! (such as accessory, ground, power etc.) If somebody could tell me what the original wires are I would REALLY appreciate it! The wire colors on the original harness are- red with blue stripe, green with red stripe, pink, yellow, dark purple, black with green stripe. I've been messing around with this for too long and I need help. The coupe is a 1968, but who knows what the previous owner did to it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I don't understand your difficulty with the diagrams. If you follow the line that represents the wire, it will lead you to whatever it connects too. Such as wire 32, which is red with blue stripe. If you follow it, you'll find the neutral safety switch at then end. And line 904, green with red stripe leads to the voltage regulator.

Perhaps the diagram you are using is not good. Take a look at E5 on this page:

1968 Mustang Wiring and Vacuum Diagrams

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

yeah that diagram is much better, I'll take another look at the new wires and trace them and see if I can match them up to where they end. I think I can make do with this diagram, thanks for showing it to me!

·
Registered
831 Posts
No problem. Working on this wiring system is much easier with a good diagram.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts