Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once in a while I can turn on the lights in my instrument panel but most times they don't come on at all. All other lights work. I am able to turn on the headlights and the interior lights but can never seem to get the instrument panel lights to come one which irritates me cause I can't see how fast I am going in the dark. This has become a real irritant and was wondering if anybody knew why the lights would not come on. I did install a radio recently that draws power from the battery to keep memory and my first thought was maybe it is drawing too much power to let the lights come on but I just don't know.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Its probably the dimmer switch that is integral with the headlight switch. Its a common problem and an easy replacement.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion to replace the headlight switch but I bought a new one and replaced it and the lights still don't come on. I also replaced all the lights in the instrument panel so they are all new so that can't be the problem. I disconnected my radio because I thought it was drawing too much power but it made no difference as well. I am stumped as to why the lights won't come on. Any more suggestions?

·
Registered
593 Posts
When they are out, check your tail lights. On a lot of older (and some newer) cars, the dash would go out when the tail lights went out to let you know your tail lights weren't working. Not sure about your car. If it is that way check for grounding issues is tail light circuit. Wherever it is, it strongly resembles a ground issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts