Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 68 coupe, with a 93 302 bored .30 over, with 289 Hipo heads and a C4 tranny. Currently I have the stock 2:79 8" rear, and want to upgrade to 3.55's. The car runs great, and has a little bit of balls. But I also have a stock torque converter. So if I upgrade the rear gears will I notice a big difference in the getty up? Or do I need to change out the torque converter to? What is stall? It is just a weekend cruiser that I like to get crazy with in straightaways. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Yep, the biggest bang for your bucks is the gears. Go with 3.5x:1 and you will have a hard time getting the smile off your face.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The "stall" on a torque converter is the rpm's it takes for your car to move. i.e. if you have a 2000 stall your car starts moving at 2000 rpm's. Changing gears without changing the torque converter will be great for you, and street driving. A higher stall allows you to have higher rpm's at launch helping your car get faster in a shorter distance. Needing a higher stall has usually goes with your engine setup more than the gears you run.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Ok I get it thanks guys. The tranny shop I went to was saying I needed a bigger converter because of the e303 cam I had, and I wanted to know if they were speaking truth or not.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Race cars use high stall convertors to get the RPM'S up for when the Go Light turns green. You will see a GM car have High stall convertors because Most GM's engines are short stroke and don't develop their max torque in the low range

Lot's of Ford engines are a longer stroke and have much higher numbers in the LOW Rpm Torque.

You will be fine with the one you have but will increase fuel costs

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had a set of 3:50 gears in my '68 with a c-4 and 302. The car really woke up when I did the pumpkin swap.

Now, after 20 years, I decided to replace the 3rd member again with a 2:79 pumpkin . I put the 3:50 geared 3rd member in another car which will have a manual 5 speed.

Freeway speeds with the c-4 ,3:50 rear end ratio, and three chamber droning flowmasters got old and annoying. Be prepared for a boost in RPMs while cruising and be sure to use mufflers that don't drone. :so

·
Banned
7,158 Posts
o.k., with the E cam a little better converter will help. try the gears first, and if you do want a little more getty up get a 2200-2600 hundred converter. oh, and by the way that does NOT mean it has to get to 2200-2600 rpm to move! :bigthumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.