Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 68 coupe, with a 93 302 bored .30 over, with 289 Hipo heads and a C4 tranny. Currently I have the stock 2:79 8" rear, and want to upgrade to 3.55's. The car runs great, and has a little bit of balls. But I also have a stock torque converter. So if I upgrade the rear gears will I notice a big difference in the getty up? Or do I need to change out the torque converter to? What is stall? It is just a weekend cruiser that I like to get crazy with in straightaways. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
810 Posts
You don't need to change anything else. Just the gears should give you more get up and go, it just won't be quite as fast on the LONG straights.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Yep, the biggest bang for your bucks is the gears. Go with 3.5x:1 and you will have a hard time getting the smile off your face.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The "stall" on a torque converter is the rpm's it takes for your car to move. i.e. if you have a 2000 stall your car starts moving at 2000 rpm's. Changing gears without changing the torque converter will be great for you, and street driving. A higher stall allows you to have higher rpm's at launch helping your car get faster in a shorter distance. Needing a higher stall has usually goes with your engine setup more than the gears you run.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Ok I get it thanks guys. The tranny shop I went to was saying I needed a bigger converter because of the e303 cam I had, and I wanted to know if they were speaking truth or not.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Race cars use high stall convertors to get the RPM'S up for when the Go Light turns green. You will see a GM car have High stall convertors because Most GM's engines are short stroke and don't develop their max torque in the low range

Lot's of Ford engines are a longer stroke and have much higher numbers in the LOW Rpm Torque.

You will be fine with the one you have but will increase fuel costs

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had a set of 3:50 gears in my '68 with a c-4 and 302. The car really woke up when I did the pumpkin swap.

Now, after 20 years, I decided to replace the 3rd member again with a 2:79 pumpkin . I put the 3:50 geared 3rd member in another car which will have a manual 5 speed.

Freeway speeds with the c-4 ,3:50 rear end ratio, and three chamber droning flowmasters got old and annoying. Be prepared for a boost in RPMs while cruising and be sure to use mufflers that don't drone. :so

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
o.k., with the E cam a little better converter will help. try the gears first, and if you do want a little more getty up get a 2200-2600 hundred converter. oh, and by the way that does NOT mean it has to get to 2200-2600 rpm to move! :bigthumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.