Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on adding power steering to my 68 Fastback. I am looking at CJ Pony Parts right now but the kits are really expensive. Does anyone know any cheaper alternatives for power steering?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
First, you need to let us know exactly what you want. The old Ford, Borgeson, or rack and pinion. Each one will have different costs and other compromises. None are cheap.

There are lots of other vendors out there. NPD, MU, Flaming River, and more. Look in any Mustang magazine or Hemmings and there will be plenty of ads. And I'm sure others here will speak up.

Just read all the fine print about compatibility and fit issues.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Unless you are running wide tires, the oem system is really very easy as far as steering effort goes and power is really more of a luxury item versus a "gotta have"

·
Registered
44 Posts
Unless you are running wide tires, the oem system is really very easy as far as steering effort goes and power is really more of a luxury item versus a "gotta have"
I agree with this, I always thought that I needed power steering but after test fitting my 390 even with a big block & 17x8's up front I could stand outside the car while reaching in & turning the wheels from lock to lock with one hand. Decided just to keep the manual steering setup, rollerize the idler arm, & pack the steering box full of grease.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
rollerize the idler arm, & pack the steering box full of grease.
These will make a big difference along with a proper alignment and good tires. Here is a good starter article and add in the 1" Shelby drop to make it steer better by putting the tires flat on the ground too. Roller spring perches are a big improvement also. What diameter is your steering wheel? Many originals have been replaced over the years, a smaller wheel will increase input.
DazeCars, Suspension 101

Jon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts