Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago my father passed away leaving me do finish our father son project all to do myself. We were working on the interior since thats really whats needs to be done. We put the passenger dash board all together and the glove box. We installed the back seats and carpet. I got myself a new radio and am working on the front cluster on the drivers side. I though didn't have the chance to get all the information needed about the car. I have so many questions and being so new to this, I am feeling overwhelmed. I don't know where to go from here. I don't quite understand the wiring and where all that goes. I don't even know what type of gas my car takes. I have a 1968 mustang V6 coupe. With a limegold exterior and a ivygreen interior. This is my prized possesion and I love it so much. I't really means alot to me to finish this not only for myself, but also for my father. If someone could help me, and tell me where to go from here, it would be more than just appreciated.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Hey, welcome to the site! First, the six is actually an I6. Second, if the engine has hardened valve seats, then you can use regular unleaded petrol for it. As for the wiring, check this out. http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=WD05+01 It's $5 and it has the diagrams and schematics for all the wiring in the car. If your working on the interior, than I would finish that.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss brother. i can relate. anyways, here's what you should do. for one, take everything one step at a time. if you think of everything that needs to be done to the car at once, you certainly will feel more than overwhelmed. about the wiring, try to download some wiring diagrams. they are pretty simple to follow. also, do some research about classic mustangs, anything in general. you'll be suprised at what you learn. oh btw, just regular unleaded gas for the straight-six cylinder. but yeah man, just type in something like "1965 mustang instrument panel wiring diagram"

oh and also, go to a member named Veronica. she'll help you much more than I can, I'm sure. good luck.

-Dare1

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
new problems occured

I have recently been working on the dash panel and today I put the driver cluster in, but it wasn't fitting right. One side was correct but the other wasn't fitting snuggly into the dash. I ended up cutting things up to make it fit, but it didn't improve much at all. I don't know if its the cluster panel or I am just not putting it in right. But I did try many, and I mean many ways to make it fit into the dash, but that one side(the far left) wouldn't budge into the opening. I went through the wires of what was left for me and found out where everything is to be connected. i need to finish the dash and put the radio in, so I can put the carpet down, front seats and console. Another problem that occured is that the radio has a clock and memory, and the previous radio was very old and didn't, so I need to hook it up to the fuse that always stays on so the clock and memory won't turn off when I turn off the engine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ah, the fun of a cluster install. It takes some tiltin and cussing to get it in. A warped dash pad makes it even more fun! Usually, I'll identify the plugins, they are a bit different, so you can observe some differences and place them where you can reach them when you get ready to plug them in. I usually get the speedometer cable in once everything lines up and then start plugging in the other stuff.

New radios are a bit of fun. I connected the wire for the memory and clock to the battery, and then used a circuit tester ( looks like a screwdriver with a pointy end and wire with an alligator clip on the other end) to find a fuse that is active only when the ignition is on.

I suggest also, using google to help you out. Often radio stuff is posted online, and a lot of help is online about classic mustangs.

Don't give up, just take your time, go ahead and make mistakes, it happens, but it also teaches you. My pictured Mustang is the result of help from my beloved parents, who at the age of 70 and 77 helped me stab in a 302 and auto tranny. I'll never forget the looks on their faces when it fired up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, the wiring is all connected. We never took out the white inside cluster but took off the outer panel. But this outer panel doesn't seem to fit together with this other one and fit in the dash itself. I pushed and pushed but it wouln't budge into the dash. The way it sits now, the a/c won't be hooked up right becuase the dash cluster is too out of the dash to beable to have the a/c bolt up to it and match with all the other panels in the dash. I thought I would just live wiht it and install the a/c unit and leave the cluster alone, but its driving me insane that it isn't fitting it how its supposed to be.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
problem when mounting the radio

I bought the USA-1 custom autosound radio and hooked up the wiring just fine. But then when i was trying to mount it into the dash, I had many problems. I have a console, so I have to account the radio accordingly. The rear mounting strap that came with the radio, is where i first got confused. since i was young when my father first took out the radio with the other parts of the interior of the car, I was not lucky to see how the old radio was mounted. I don't know how to mount the radio in my 68 mustang, and I need help. This is the step i need to finish to install the front carpeting and seats. And it all depends on finishing the radio installation soon as possible. If anyone could help me on mounting the radio, it would be awesome.

·
Registered
120 Posts
First off Sorry for your loss. I have a 68 I just picked up and would love it if one of my boys got into it with me but so far no takers.You sound a bit like me wanting to jump into it all and run full bore but you need to drop back a bit and take things one step at a time. If you feel stuck or overwhelmed have a second and even third task you can work on that will be a bit easier on you and give you some forward movement so you see a difference. Remember no matter how much you do or how far you go you will always wish you were further along or that you did something different. I am gearing up to do a full tear down on mine and have just slowed myself down as I am so anxious to start but know I need to get the garage organized with better lighting and heat as well as insulation and more electric circuits as well as some much needed tools to successfully start on this Journey.
I wish you luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You may not be able to use the stock strap. The aftermarket radios often come with strap stock to custom bend one. I've also modified the stock ones by elongating holes, but really the strap works fine because you can hand bend it and find a location in the dash to mount it. If you don't have some, most hardware stores have it, its just a flat piece of stock with holes every inch or so.

I'd finish it by bending a peice of cardboard to fit, then use a vice to bend the stock. You can transfer over the measurements from the cardboard.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I figured out that I don't have a stock support bracket for the radio at all. I guess my father threw it away one day in getting a new one. So I guess I will be forced to getting another one. I'm just detered by it becuase it is going to cost 70 dollars, and I really don't see why I would pay $70 for a few pieces of metal. But I guess that is what I will have to do to get the rest of my interior up and going into the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.