Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dad just got a 1968 Mustang with a 289 V8. The guy he bought it from said it used to be a race car, but stopped racing, put a rev limiter on it, and let his daughter drive it for a few years. He didn't elaborate on the function or location of the rev limiter, so now we're wondering if there really IS one on this car and how we could go about finding it and REMOVING it. I can post some pictures of the engine later if that is necessary (I'll have to take some because I don't have any right now).

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
First does the car have that lumpy idle? If not don't worry about it. Also, it's doubtful you'll hit the mark anyway if there IS one. They're usually a small box located in the engine compartment. I doubt it has one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First does the car have that lumpy idle? If not don't worry about it. Also, it's doubtful you'll hit the mark anyway if there IS one. They're usually a small box located in the engine compartment. I doubt it has one.
Yes it does have a pretty lumpy idle. I'm just not quite sure where to start looking for the small box. What does it connect to in order to rev limit the engine?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of distributor does it have? The triggering has to come from the dissy.
I'm not sure what kind of distributor is has and I'm not sure how to find out. So you're saying that if there is a rev limiter, then it will likely have some sort of wiring going to the distributor?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Joe, I'm no rev limiter expert, but try a google image search on "rev limiter" and you'll get alot of pics of different rev limiters that wil give you a good ideal of what the most common styles look like. And you could also got to Summit Racing's web site and I'm sure they would have a wide selection of styles and they would also have pictures of them.

I suggesst this route so you can familiarize yourself with what to look for and take some pics and post. It will speed up the results here on the forum.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Joe, I'm no rev limiter expert, but try a google image search on "rev limiter" and you'll get alot of pics of different rev limiters that wil give you a good ideal of what the most common styles look like. And you could also got to Summit Racing's web site and I'm sure they would have a wide selection of styles and they would also have pictures of them.

I suggesst this route so you can familiarize yourself with what to look for and take some pics and post. It will speed up the results here on the forum.:bigthumbsup
I think I found the rev limiter today. It's on the driver's side near the voltage regulator. It's a small aluminum looking box with NO manufacturer/model number on it, and NO writing on it at all. It does have a small white, two pronged plug looking thing on the side of it that will pull out. When I pulled it out, it said "6000" on it and probably represents the RPM value that it's limited to. I'm guessing this is probably a load of some kind that can be changed as long as I can find plugs that will fit. Has anyone seen one like this? If so, do you know where I can get one that's higher than 6000, maybe 8000 or something?

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.