Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:headscratch:Ok, I tried tightening down the rocker arms on my 302, because there was a clicking noise coming from them, so I tightened them down and the clicking noise went away. After driving it for about 5 minutes the same noise came back!!! There was one rocker arm in particular that was very loose, and when I went to tight the nut, it wouldn't go down any further and the rocker arm was still loose. The motor is a 302 with solid cam and everything is stock. Please help if anyone has been though this!

·
Registered
249 Posts
i was having the same problem...found out i was bending push rods. next time you have the rocker arms off check to see if you have a bent pushrod

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I checked the push rods and they were all straight, but I just can't tightened the one rocker arm that seems to be loose and making the clicking noise, its just tight to its limit. I was wondering if anyone knew how to adjust them?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
according the last owner he said the cams were solid, what would the diferrence be in solving the problem? the rocker arms and the lifters are stock, and they dont seem to be hydraulic. thanks for all the support!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The installed pushrods may be too short. A measurement may need to be taken and longer pushrods installed. If you have hydraulic lifters, the problem my be a defective collapsed lifter.

You'll need to get a pushrod that is made to be adjustable length wise to check if the original length needs to be changed. Also you need to figure out if you have solid or hyd. lifters so that the correct valve lash can be established. The adjustment procedures are different between the two.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If checking what has been stated above & you still have the same problem. Check the one rocker that you suspect, maybe your lifter failed (hyd. lifter, collapsed) and if not I'd look at the Cam maybe having a worn lobe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.