Ford Mustang Forum banner

1968 Mustang Speedometer Trouble

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  amaw13 
#1 ·
(68 Coupe 302 C4) I just replaced the speedometer cable and gear... everything went as expected. Now when driveing the car the speedometer will only very slowly crawl up to 11 MPH or so and just kinda hang there, even if I stop. I am not sure what to do. I am hoping that the speedometer its self is not busted ... I was thinking that maby the line was kinked some where but it dosen't look like it.

Any clues?

#2 ·
Was it doing this before you changed the speedometer cable and gear ?

If it just hangs there after you stop, it sounds as if something is wrong with the speedometer itself. If so, buy a used one on ebay for about $20. There are tons of used ones out there and are a lot less money than repairing your old one. I even have an extra one if your interested.

#3 ·
I just got the car and it had no speedometer cable to start with it had been "pulled out" the end was still in the tran just crimped together to keep fluid from comming out and the end of the gear was broken off. When I took my cluster off I looked at the speedometer and it looked okay, I turned the back where the cable comes in, and it worked. I don't need to grease it or anthing do I? How dose that gear even turn the wire inside the cable... it dosen't look like it gets much of a grip on it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.