Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying a 68 hardtop and need to tow it back to my house. Did the first gen mustangs come with a steering lock? I need to have the steering locked for the tow dolly.

·
Registered
227 Posts
They did not come with a lock. Are you putting the front tires on the dolly? You can use an antitheft device that hooks on the steering wheel and one of the pedals. If you have an automatic, you can remove the driveshaft and plug the end of the tranny so you can roll on the rear tires.

·
Registered
460 Posts
We just use ROPE thru the steering wheel and run it toward the door and close the door on it .

·
Registered
25 Posts
ive used a tow dolly towing mustangs frontward for years and you do not lock the steering wheel this is unless you plan on putting it on tow dolly backwards which i dont recommend. wes

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. It's a manual trans and I'll load it up front forward. Will probably rope up steering wheel just in case. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
236 Posts
car dolly

Thanks for the info. It's a manual trans and I'll load it up front forward. Will probably rope up steering wheel just in case. :bigthumbsup
I've hauled my 67 coupe from Pa to Woodward dream cruise ,up in Michigan............... using a tow dolly.............you don't need to secure the steering wheel.Like mentioned........auto=remove drive shaft.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help. I got the car home some time ago. I used straps to secure the steering wheel so that it wouldn't move. My buddy that has the tow dolly told me he had a car fall off because the steering lock wasn't engaged. It may depend on the type of the tow dolly used. There are few different manufacturers and models.

For anybody using a tow dolly ... make sure the lugnuts are tight. I got the mustang home and found out the back wheel lugnuts were hand tight.:happyhapp

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.