Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive been switching out my 1968 Mustang with the I6 to a 351W. I have the Rear switched, and now working on the front. What is the best system to go with for Converting it to a 5 Bolt Hub, and spindle. I dont want to spend $1000 on a kit, when i know i could make something else work. Does anyone know if you could take it out of a Newer mustang, or Crown Vic, Ect? And also, can i just put in some heavier coils on the front to beef it up for the v8?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
So ive been switching out my 1968 Mustang with the I6 to a 351W. I have the Rear switched, and now working on the front. What is the best system to go with for Converting it to a 5 Bolt Hub, and spindle. I dont want to spend $1000 on a kit, when i know i could make something else work. Does anyone know if you could take it out of a Newer mustang, or Crown Vic, Ect? And also, can i just put in some heavier coils on the front to beef it up for the v8?
Part of the swap will be getting V8 springs for your car. I did the mid 70's Granada swap on mine, but they are getting rarer and rarer in junkyards plus a lot of people don't want 35 year old used parts in their braking system. Have you checked out Mustang Steve? I have not bought any of his stuff but he creates brackets, etc, that allow you to use later model disks and calipers, etc.

cobrabrakes

(also you might like Scarebird, they have a lot of things to help you put disks on the rear, too)

Pontiac GTO Trans Am Lemans Firebird T37 GT37 items in Scarebird Disc Brake Conversions store on eBay!

·
Registered
657 Posts
No need to change the spindles. Your present Spindles will bolt on the 4 Piston per caliper disc brakes just like all the 67 Shelbys had.

Excellent brakes big rotors (11 19/64"),

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im thinking about going with that KH Disc conversion off ebay. i do have a 70's Granada available but everything is so rusted out it would have to be rebuilt anyways!

G

·
Keep us posted on your build...

I'm always interested in seeing other 351w's in the classics.

I got the GT 350 springs for the front of my 65 and they worked great for the extra weight of the 351w over the 289. There's a little drop but nothing that looks slammed. I'm not sure of the applications for your 68.

:bigthumbsup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts