Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys first off lets give a moment of silence for my 95 Mustang who past away today in a wreck................................... ok now to the problem

I have a 1968 mustang that going to have to be my daily driver till i get the money from the insurance

I have replaced these things in the 68 mustang
1) Battery
2) Ignition switch
3) Voltage regulator
4) Starter relay
5) battery connections
6) wires to starter relay and wire to starter
7) Starter

Now the problem When I turn the key to crank the car goes like the starter is trying to turn (with old and new starter) but stays on even with the key out its just keeps turning and turning untill we take off the battery cables then when you try to put them back they spark it dang will near melted the battery post. I am dumbfounded any ideas??

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have ran into this problem before with my mustang but for the life of me i cannot remember exactly what i did..but i do know it has something to do with the battery solenoid. or which what u may be refering to as ( starter relay ) the new one you have may be bad. I have ran into that several times and had to return it for another. But anyway the solenoid is still sending juice to the starter so make sure the 2 wires on the front of the solenoid are in the right place or try switching them around and see. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Pull the red/blue off solenoid and try hooking up batt. If starter tries to work, defective solenoid. If not, place wire back on with key off. If it tries to start, points you toward ignition switch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts